Transfer Students

Students transferring to Kent State University from other colleges and universities can apply for all types of aid, including scholarships specifically for transfer students. Financial aid awards are determined by student eligibility.  Federal aid utilized at the previous institution will be reviewed to determine remaining eligibility available to award at Kent State University.

Scholarship Opportunities

The Kent Campus of Kent State University offers transfer scholarship programs. Visit for more information.

Applying for Financial Aid

In order to apply for financial aid, transfer students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).If the student did not list Kent State on the FAFSA they will need to add Kent State’s school code (003051) to the FAFSA. Students can make a correction to the FAFSA at

The financial aid application and awarding process for transfer students is similar to that of currently enrolled students at Kent State. Students that borrowed a Federal Student Loan or received a portion of their Federal Pell Grant during the same academic year that they are starting at Kent State, must contact their previous school’s financial aid office and notify them that they will not be returning. That school must cancel any remaining undisbursed student aid including student loans and grants.

Students may need to submit additional documentation, in addition to the FAFSA, if requested. Outstanding requirements will be viewable in Banner Self-Service (FlashLine) once the FAFSA is received. After all requested documents are reviewed and the file is complete, Kent State will award financial aid, if eligible. Students will receive an email/letter announcing the awards, and the awards will be displayed on FlashLine. Students must accept, reduce or decline awards that are in an Offered status.

The number of credits that the student transfers into Kent State will determine their class level, i.e. whether a first-year, second-year or third-year etc. A student’s annual federal loan limit will be based on their class level. Transfer students who were not previously enrolled or did not receive aid at another institution during the current academic year will be offered the maximum financial aid award for their class level based on their remaining eligibility. More information on transferring credits can be found at the Transfer Center.

Kent State may not receive a record of the financial aid the student received at the previous school before awarding. In that case, once the updated information is transmitted to Kent State via Transfer Monitoring, awards could be reduced or cancelled.

Many students that transfer midyear into Kent State have already received federal Pell Grant and/or federal Direct Loan funds at their previous school. Depending on the point in the academic year in which the student transfers, their aid eligibility will be limited if they already accessed a portion of their aid elsewhere. Students who transfer to Kent State after our academic year has begun will have their financial aid calculated based upon their remaining eligibility for federal funds. Students cannot receive Federal Grants at two different institutions at the same time. More information on annual and aggregate loan limits can be found on our loan webpages.

Transfer monitoring procedures are used to verify with the federal Department of Education (through the National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS) if a student used federal student aid at a previous institution. The transfer monitoring process is conducted even if the student reports they did not receive financial aid at any other school. There is no action required by the student during this process. If Kent State University receives notification of aid utilized at another school during the same period of enrollment, a financial aid hold will be placed on the student's financial aid disbursement until the financial aid award amounts are reviewed again to determine if the student was awarded funds exceeding their annual financial aid limit.

Transfer Student FINANCIAL AID Checklist

Below is a helpful checklist to make sure a student’s transition to Kent State is successful.

  • Apply for admission to Kent State University (Guest students are not eligible for financial aid).
  • Add Kent State to your financial aid application (FAFSA) by adding our school code (003051) online at
  • Contact your current school's financial aid office and cancel any undisbursed financial aid. Students cannot receive Federal Grants at more than one school at a time.
  • Once your FAFSA has been received you will receive an award letter or a request for additional information.
  • View your student financial aid awards and/or any outstanding financial aid requirements via FlashLine.
  • Accept, decline or reduce your loans. Complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note at
  • Check your Kent State email address for notifications regarding your e-bills, detailed billing information and payment due dates or visit the One Stop for Student Services.