Recap: So You Think You Know Kent State?
About the Answers
- Rt. 59 in Kent begins at the Stow line. From there to the border of Franklin Township in the east is just 6.32 miles.
- 7,000 of our 11,500 parking spaces are reserved for students.
- In 1961, 10 black squirrels were brought here, and they have done a good job of multiplying over the last 58 years.
- Flash was a dog at one time, but he was a golden retriever, not a Dalmatian.
- The dinks tradition ended in 1968, so 1969 was the first time a freshman class was not issued dinks.
- In the 1910 State Charter, Kent State’s school colors were designated as orange and blue. But when the basketball uniforms were sent to a local laundry the hot water turned them gold and blue. The team and student body liked the new colors, so they adopted them instead.
- Oscar Ritchie was appointed to the KSU staff in 1947. Oscar Ritchie Hall was named in his honor in 1977, 30 years after his appointment and 10 years after his death in 1967.
- Sister Joann Caniglia, of the Dominican Sisters of Peace of Akron, is an associate professor of teaching, learning and curriculum studies in the College of Education, Health and Human Services. Sister Mary Theresa Sharp, of the Sisters of Notre Dame in Chardon, is an associate professor of mathematical science in the College of Arts & Sciences.
- According to the May 4 Archive at University Libraries, approximately 90 books have been written on May 4, 1970, including poetry, novels, textbooks and historical nonfiction. As more books are expected to be published during the anniversary year, that number is expected to grow to 100 or more.
- George Bowman, for whom the Bowman Breakfast is named, served for 19 years, from 1944 to 1963. Presidents McGilvrey and Cartwright each served 15 years, and President Schwartz, nine years.
- Merrill Hall was built in 1912. Lowry Hall was built shortly after and was the first dormitory on campus.
- What is now the entrance to Kent State.
- 9,915 degrees including associate, bachelor, master, education specialist, doctorate, professional and certificates. That’s nearly 10,000 degrees!