Taking Placement Assessment
Do I need to take the ALEKS Mathematics Placement Assessment?
· New Kent Campus students are required to complete placement assessments online. All students need to complete the ALEKS Math placement assessment no later than 72 hours before attending Destination Kent State. If your major does NOT require algebra, you may NOT need to take the ALEKS Mathematics Placement Assessment. Refer to the placement chart for information. (LINK TO PLACEMENT CHART). A high school GPA of 3.0 or higher qualifies you to take MATH 10040 or 10050 without taking the placement assessment. A high school GPA of 3.5 or higher, OR an ACT Math score of 22 or higher OR an SAT Math score of 530 or higher qualifies you to take MATH 10041 or 10051 without taking the placement assessment.
· Transfer students who have not earned credit for Math OR completed a remedial math sequence within the past academic year must take the ALEKS assessment. Students are expected to complete all appropriate assessments prior to attending Transfer Kent State: Orientation, Advising and Registration or meeting with an academic advisor. Transfer students can contact their advising units once their credit evaluation has been completed to confirm their assessment needs.
· Regional Campus students will receive instructions about whether to take placement assessments online or on campus during a Regional Campus orientation program or advising appointment
· International students are required to complete the ALEKS math placement assessment before arriving on campus.
When you are ready to begin your assessment, access the ALEKS Mathematics Placement Assessment via your Flashline account.
- To access the placement assessment on Flashline, go to Student / Resources / Placement Assessments. Select Math and then choose "If you have never logged in to ALEKS, take the ALEKS Mathematics Placement Assessment". Be sure to take this assessment seriously, as it will determine into which Math course you are placed.
Detailed, step by step instructions for accessing the ALEKS Mathematics Placement Assessment are available here.
For best results:
- Work in a distraction-free environment, which includes silencing all other devices.
- Keep others out of your testing space. People that come into view of the webcam may trigger flags by the automated system.
- Sit at a desk or workspace and remain seated until the assessment is completed.
- Take the exam in a well-lit room, with lighting in front of your face, not behind it. If the details of your face don’t show clearly during the webcam check, the automated video analysis is more likely to flag you as missing.
If an interruption occurs, provide an explanation by speaking directly to your Webcam audio recorder or email testingservices @kent.edu.
o NOT Access other resources (a phone, tablet, notes, etc.)
o NOT Communicate with other people
o NOT Leave the room
o NOT Use a calculator other than the one provided by ALEKS. The ALEKS calculator will pop up on your screen as needed.
Read the proctoring protocols here. Read Kent State University’s Honesty Statement and Remote Proctoring Agreement. By continuing to the assessment, you are acknowledging that you understand the implications of these guidelines.
If you are a student with a disability and are requesting accommodations for the ALEKS placement assessment, please contact Student Accessibility Services at 330-672-3391 or firstname.lastname@example.org. As a reminder, the ALEKS placement assessment is untimed and will be available for 48 hours from the time of your first log in.