Department of Pan-African Studies
Watch as Dr. Kumah-Abiwu talks about classroom engagement and how Pan-African Studies changes the lives of our students.
The Department of Pan-African Studies (DPAS) has a dual mission:
- Offer a comprehensively radical African centered approach to learning.
- Educate and inform Kent State University and the larger community about African & African derived cultural expressions.
Both our major and minor concentrations draw from perspectives and sources in the humanities, fine arts, and social sciences and advance critical analysis of contemporary global world politics, culture, history and community development.
- Black Experience I and II Courses
- Supports the Kent Core Requirement and are offered online as well as traditional classroom settings.
- Communication Skills and Arts Program
- Teaches college writing courses in an innovative and student-centered manner through reading and writing assignments relevant to the people of African descent.