5 - 21
University policy regarding smoking and tobacco use at Kent state university
- Purpose. Kent state university is dedicated to providing a healthy, comfortable and productive work and living environment for its employees and students. To this effect, smoking and tobacco use is prohibited on all Kent state university campuses and university property. This policy is not meant to replace or prevent adherence by the university community to the smoking prohibition requirements in Chapter 3794 of the Revised Code.
- “Smoking” for the purposes of this policy means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted or heated product intended for inhalation in any manner or in any form. “Smoking” also includes the use of an apparatus including but not limited to an electronic smoking device, mod box, or electronic nicotine delivery system (ENDS) that creates an aerosol or vapor, in any manner or in any form, or the use of any other smoking device for the purpose of circumventing the prohibition of smoking in this rule.
- “Tobacco use” for the purposes of this policy means the use of nicotine, tobacco-derived or containing products, and plant based products including products intended to mimic tobacco products, oral tobacco or other similar products
- Scope. All members of the university community are subject to this policy including employees, students, visitors, volunteers, patients, and customers. This policy applies to all university owned, operated, or leased property (collectively “university property”). Smoking or tobacco use in personal vehicles on university property will not be allowed.
- The success of creating and maintaining a smoke-free and tobacco-free environment will depend upon the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of the entire university community. All employees and students share in the responsibility for adhering to and enforcing this policy. Problems should be brought to the attention of the appropriate administrator, or in accordance with reporting guidelines provided by the Ohio department of health.
- The university will not advertise smoking or tobacco products on university property or at any university-sponsored event or university owned or sponsored media.
- FDA approved nicotine replacement therapy will be allowed (e.g., patches, gum, inhalers, and lozenges).
- Smoking or tobacco use may be permitted for controlled research, educational, clinical, or religious ceremonial purposes with prior approval of the appropriate administrator.
- Signage. Signage shall be placed appropriately on entrances and exits from buildings and structures on university property, including parking areas, and on university owned or leased vehicles.
- The success of this rule relies on the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of smokers and nonsmokers alike. Any student who repeatedly refuses to abide by this rule may be referred to student conduct. Repeat violations by any faculty or staff member shall be handled through normal employment procedures for violation of university rules and procedures.
- Visitors, contractors, and other individuals on campus who are in violation of this rule should be immediately reminded of and directed to comply with this rule. Continued violation of this rule may result in further action as deemed necessary by the appropriate administrator.
This policy was formerly number 3342-5-12.8.
Policy Effective Date:Jul. 01, 2017
Policy Prior Effective Dates:12/17/1993, 5/5/1994, 10/3/2005, 2/12/2007, 6/1/2007, 3/1/2015