4 - 14
University policy regarding support and assistance for service members and veterans
- Policy statement. Kent state university seeks to assist service members and veterans as they pursue an advanced degree and/or certificate. In an effort to better serve this population, Kent state university has adopted this policy as required by division (B) of section 3345.421 of the Revised Code. The purpose of this policy is to set forth the support and assistance Kent state university will provide to service members and veterans.
- Definitions. In alignment with section 3345.42 of the Revised Code, this policy utilized the definitions for "service member" and "veteran":
- "Service member" is defined as a person who is serving in the armed forces of the United States.
- "Veteran" is defined as any person who has completed service in the armed forces, including the national guard of any state or a reserve component of the armed forces, and who has been discharged under honorable conditions from the armed forces or who has been transferred to the reserve with evidence of satisfactory service.
- Implementation. Kent state university will provide the following support and assistance to service members and veterans:
- Establish and maintain a service member and veteran student services office, and designate at least one person employed by the university to serve as the contact person for veteran and service member affairs. The person designated may not be a person currently assigned by the university as a veterans administration certifying official;
- Allow for the establishment of a student-led group on campus for service members and veterans, and support other service member- and veteran-friendly organizations.
- Integrate existing career services to create and encourage meaningful collaborative relationships between service members and veterans and Kent state university alumni. Such integration will be designed to link service members and veterans with prospective employers; provide service members and veterans with social opportunities; and encourage responsible offices to seek and promote partnership opportunities for internships and employment of service members and veterans with local, state, national, and international employers.
Policy Effective Date:Mar. 01, 2015
Policy Prior Effective Dates:2014/12/17