HLC Criterion 2. Integrity: Ethical and Responsible Conduct
The institution acts with integrity; its conduct is ethical and responsible.
2.A. The institution establishes and follows policies and processes to ensure fair and ethical behavior on the part of its governing board, administration, faculty and staff.
- The institution develops and the governing board adopts the mission.
- The institution operates with integrity in its financial, academic, human resources and auxiliary functions.
2.B. The institution presents itself clearly and completely to its students and to the public.
- The institution ensures the accuracy of any representations it makes regarding academic offerings, requirements, faculty and staff, costs to students, governance structure and accreditation relationships.
- The institution ensures evidence is available to support any claims it makes regarding its contributions to the educational experience through research, community engagement, experiential learning, religious or spiritual purpose and economic development.
2.C. The governing board of the institution is autonomous to make decisions in the best interest of the institution in compliance with board policies and to ensure the institution’s integrity.
- The governing board is trained and knowledgeable so that it makes informed decisions with respect to the institution’s financial and academic policies and practices; the board meets its legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- The governing board’s deliberations reflect priorities to preserve and enhance the institution.
- The governing board reviews the reasonable and relevant interests of the institution’s internal and external constituencies during its decision-making deliberations.
- The governing board preserves its independence from undue influence on the part of donors, elected officials, ownership interests or other external parties.
- The governing board delegates day-to-day management of the institution to the institution’s administration and expects the institution’s faculty to oversee academic matters.
2.D. The institution is committed to academic freedom and freedom of expression in the pursuit of truth in teaching and learning
2.E. The institution’s policies and procedures call for responsible acquisition, discovery and application of knowledge by its faculty, staff and students.
- Institutions supporting basic and applied research maintain professional standards and provide oversight ensuring regulatory compliance, ethical behavior and fiscal accountability.
- The institution provides effective support services to ensure the integrity of research and scholarly practice conducted by its faculty, staff and students.
- The institution provides students guidance in the ethics of research and use of information resources.
- The institution enforces policies on academic honesty and integrity.