Outdoor Skills Clinics
We offer unique instructional clinics each semester that are designed to teach participants a useful outdoor skill. Types of clinics we have offered in the past have included campfire cooking, knots 101, rock climbing technique, observing the night sky, outdoor photography, packing a backpack, and more.
Introduction to Climbing Clinic
This two-and-a-half hour program covers the basics of indoor climbing including equipment, bouldering, top rope climbing and belaying with an ATC and GriGri device. This program sets up an individual with no prior experience to take our belay test which is required when purchasing a climbing wall membership. Contact Alexis Reed with any questions.
- Dates & Times:
- Fall: Mondays & Tuesdays, Aug. 29 - Dec. 13 from 5:30 - 8 p.m.
- Spring: Mondays & Tuesdays, Jan. 16 - May 9 from 5:30 - 8 p.m.
- Location: SRWC Climbing Wall
- Cost: Free
Pool Beginner Kayak Sessions
New kayakers can come learn kayaking skills. Experienced kayakers can practice their skills. Participants may bring their own boats via the loading dock stairs and back entrance as long as the boats are FULLY CLEANED before entering the pool. If you don’t own a boat, one will be provided for you to use. Pre-registration IS REQUIRED at least 24 hours before the program.
- Dates & Times:
- Fall: Thursdays, Sept. 1 - Dec. 15 from 7 - 9 p.m.
- Spring: Thursdays, Jan. 19 - May 11 from 7 - 9 p.m.
- Location: SRWC Lap pool
- Cost: $7
Here’s your chance to learn how to snowshoe! Snowshoes are specialized outdoor gear for walking over snow. Their large footprint spreads the user’s weight out and allows them to travel largely on top of rather than through snow. Adjustable bindings attach them to appropriate winter footwear. We will start outside of the SRWC and walk around campus. Snowshoes are provided.
- Date & Time: Saturday, Feb. 18 from 3 - 5 p.m.
- Location: Disc Golf Course - meet at the SRWC
- Cost: $5
Come learn to shoot archery with our Adventure Center staff. We will teach you the basics and play fun archery games. There is a three participant minimum to run this program.
- Date & Time:
- Wednesday, Mar. 8 from 6 - 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, Mar. 15 from 6 - 9 p.m.
- Saturday, Mar. 18 from 1 - 3 p.m.
- Location: SRWC Multipurpose Gym
- Cost: $5
Outdoor Archery Clinic
This clinic is perfect for you if you have always wanted to learn how to use a bow and enjoy time in the outdoors. You will learn the basics of safety techniques and target practice during this program. You will have a blast putting your newly achieved archery skills to use at Allerton Fields, just down the road from the SRWC. The fee includes transportation, equipment, and instruction.
- Date & Time: Wednesday, Apr. 19 from 5 - 7 p.m.
- Location: Allerton Sports Complex - meet at the SRWC
- Cost: $10
Wilderness and Remote First Aid
This course teaches advanced skills to be used in emergencies when help from professional first responders may be far away, such as a wilderness setting. Participants will learn to respond with wilderness first aid training when faced with limited resources, longer times to care for someone, and decisions about when and how fast to evacuate an ill or injured person. The course is great for Scouts, people who live or work in a remote setting, or outdoors adventure enthusiasts. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will earn a WRFA certification good for two years. Contact Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Difficulty: Level 1. No experience necessary, mild physical exertion.
- Prerequisites: Must be at least 14 yrs. old & have a current adult CPR/AED certification
- Date & Time: Saturday, Mar. 11 - Sunday, Mar. 12 from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Location: SRWC
- Cost: $150