Approval Timelines and IRB Process
IMPORTANT UPDATE! Direct submission of Level I and Level II/III applications to firstname.lastname@example.org is no longer accepted. New Level I and Level II/III IRB applications must be submitted to a discipline specific reviewer. Most level I requests can be directly approved by discipline specific reviewers, but projects requiring HIPAA Compliance review or use, international settings, or is externally funded require administrative review prior to approval; reviewers may also request administrative review.
Submit all new level I and II/III applications via email to one discipline specific IRB reviewer for review. Level I applications may no longer be directly submitted to the Office of Research Compliance (ORC) and must be submitted to a discipline specific reviewer. If you need assistance finding a reviewer, please contact us at email@example.com.
Continuing reviews, amendments, authorization agreement requests, and adverse and non-compliance events are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications requiring full board review (level III) must be received by the ORC from a discipline specific reviewer no later than 10 working days before an IRB meeting. We cannot guarantee review by a particular committee, regardless of the submission date.
- Review the Video Overview of the IRB process and the submission instructions that are included one the first page of each application.
- IRB approval can take up to 8 weeks.
- The overall number of submissions received by the IRB will affect review timelines - refer to the graphic below.
- Protocols that are highly complex or are submitted with missing information and/or unanswered questions take longer to process.
- Plan for additional review time if your project involves data collection outside of the United States or multiple compliance processes, such as FERPA or HIPAA review.
All projects that require HIPAA Compliance review will be reviewed during a HIPAA team meeting on the third Thursday of the month. This is due to the significantly increased number of requests that require HIPAA Compliance review. PIs will be invited to the meeting.
CPM submission must be made directly to Jill Kawalec.