Approval Timelines and IRB Process
Submit new level II/III applications via email to one discipline specific IRB reviewer for an initial review. Level I applications may be submitted to the Office of Research Compliance (ORC). If you need assistance finding a reviewer, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications requiring full board review (level III) must be received by the ORC from a discipline specific reviewer no later than 10 working days before an IRB meeting. We cannot guarantee review by a particular committee, regardless of the submission date.
- Review the Video Overview of the IRB process and the submission instructions that are included one the first page of each application.
- IRB approval typically takes between two (2) and six (6) weeks.
- The overall number of submissions received by the Office of Research Compliance will affect review timelines - refer to the graphic below.
- Protocols that are highly complex, or are submitted with missing information and/or unanswered questions take longer to process.
- Plan for additional review time if your project involves: data collection outside of the United States or multiple compliance processes, such as FERPA or HIPAA review.
All projects that require HIPAA Compliance review will be reviewed during a HIPAA team meeting on the third Thursday of the month. This is due to the significantly increased number of requests that require HIPAA Compliance review. PIs will be invited to the meeting.
CPM submission must be made directly to Jill Kawalec.