Peace Baskets Program Back for 25th Year in Helping Needy Families
Members of the Kent State University community invite faculty, staff and students to join in creating Holiday Peace Baskets on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2022, between 9 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. at the King Kennedy Community Center, 6660 Garfield Road, Ravenna. If you cannot make it at 9 a.m., organizers invite you to please come when you can.
Celebrating its 25th year, this activity created more than 100 gift baskets for needy families in the area in 2021.
Donations such as kitchen items, personal grooming items, school supplies and small stocking stuffers for children will be assembled into decorated baskets, bags and boxes. They will be distributed to the residents the community center serves during the center’s Christmas party.
The following Holiday Helpers are needed:
- As a Prep Elf: Volunteers are needed on Friday, Dec. 9, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m., at the King Kennedy Community Center to prepare for the basket assembly day.
- As an Elf: Join in a continental breakfast and help assemble baskets and boxes of needed items on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the King Kennedy Community Center. Breakfast and decorating materials will be provided.
- As an Absentee Angel: Donate money toward the purchase of gift bags and containers, ribbons and bows. You’ll be with us in spirit.
- As Santa’s Shopper: Donate items to help fill the baskets such as toiletries, personal grooming products, small stocking stuffers (socks, jewelry, nail polish, stuffed animals, small toys, books or other children’s items), kitchen items and school supplies. For men: cologne, socks, caps and hats, games for teenagers and other young men's items. Shoe boxes wrapped with holiday paper and other items can be taken to the drop-off points listed below.
- As a Holiday Knitter: Hand-knitted or crocheted scarves and caps for kids will be accepted.
To make the Dec. 10 activities go smoothly, we are asking that all items to be donated be dropped off at the following locations:
- Information Technology, Stewart Hall receptionist desk (Barb Boltz, 330-672-1306, email@example.com)
- Schwartz Center, Suite 208, Office 210 (Shelly Casto 330-672-0733, firstname.lastname@example.org)
You may also contact Barb Boltz or Shelly Casto to arrange for a pickup at your location.
For more information about the Peace Basket Project, contact Shelly Casto at 330-672-0733 or by email at email@example.com.