College and Career Academies
Akron Public Schools (APS) has developed the College and Career Academies of Akron to transform traditional high school teaching and learning, providing all students with the advanced skills and experiences needed to become more successful, productive citizens in college, career and life.
To become the No.1 urban school system in the United States, through the assistance and collaboration with partners such as:
- ConxusNEO, GAR Foundation
- United Way of Summit County
- Summit Education Initiative
- Ford Next Generation Learning (a Ford Motor Company Fund through the Henry Ford Learning Institute)
Kent State Partnership
Kent State University has entered into a partnership with APS with the creation of the College and Career Academies of Akron at Firestone Community Learning Center and nearly every other school within the district. This is in alignment with the mission of Kent State, to transform lives and communities through the power of discovery, learning and creative expression in an inclusive environment.
College and Career Academies of Akron
The College and Career Academies of Akron are designed around three essential elements:
- Students belong to small learning communities creating a more personal and supportive climate for students and teachers.
- Courses are taught through a career themed lens, aligning academic subjects and career applications.
- Business, education and community partners provide support and experiential learning opportunities and help make connections to post-secondary opportunities and authentic, real-world problems.
By leveraging a student’s personal interest, lessons become relevant and directly linked to a student’s postsecondary plan, increasing academic achievement, attendance and graduation rates. Graduates will be better prepared for life after high school, whether they plan on immediately enrolling in post-secondary options, enlisting in the military, or seeking full-time employment. Graduates immersed in relevant coursework will have developed 21st century skills that align college and career preparation to local workforce demands.
For more information on the College and Career Academies of Akron Public Schools, please see the resource links below: