Prepare for Advising
Here are some tips to remember as you prepare for a productive meeting with your advisor:
- Schedule your advising appointment in advance. At peak times of the year, it may be difficult to get an appointment with your academic advisor at a moment’s notice.
- Academic advising is by appointment only. Appointments may be scheduled online. We do not offer same day appointments.
- Show up early or on-time for your advising appointment. If you are unable to make your appointment, please refer to your appointment email to cancel the appointment well in advance. Cancelling the appointment may allow another student to take the open appointment time.
- Make sure in all correspondence to provide your Kent State University ID number. This is NOT the same number on your Flashcard. If you cannot remember this, you can look it up on your FLASHLINE, MyAccount tab.
- Familiarize yourself with your program requirements and/or admissions and major information for the school you plan on transferring to. Consult your Program Requirements sheet and/or Roadmap for the relevant major(s) (and minor, if any).
- Monitor your progress towards graduation. Depending on your catalog year, either run a KAPS report (catalog year prior to 2010) or a GPS report (catalog year 2010-forward) through Flashline.
Bring With You
- Bring paper and a pen or pencil to take notes. Writing things down will help you think about what you are learning and help you to remember details and deadlines.
- Prepare a selection of courses. Include those that you would like to take and/or think you may need for your degree or transfer plan. If you need help searching for classes instructions can be found here.
- Bring a list of questions. Get the most out of your appointment and have all of your questions answered at one time.