The Department of Computer Science offers degrees at the Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral levels. Our faculty believe in a strong advising approach and, as advisors, help students choose the appropriate program according to their goals, needs and interests. Students who are interested in a Computer Science degree with a rich set of options and electives should consider Kent State University.
Computer Science News
- On January 21, 2020 Kent State University entered into the Era of Big Data Science through an NSF Grant! Read more here.
- Congratulations to Professor Arvind Bansal as his newest textbook Introduction to Computational Health Informatics, has just been published by Chapman & Hall/CRC Press under its "data mining and knowledge discovery series." Read more.
- Javed I. Khan, Professor and Chair of the Computer Science Department has secured a $2 million grant to support the higher education of Ohio students starting with newly admitted students for the Fall 2020 semester. Find out more about the Choose Ohio First Program!
- The ATR Lab under the direction of Dr. Jong-Hoon Kim has secured one of only 10 spots on the NASA Suits 2020 Challenge! PhD Student Irvin Cardenas will lead the team in April when they travel to the Johnson Space Center for the competition. The Suit Challenge is part of NASA's Artemis project, a landing on the moon to prepare for the Mars expedition.
- The Office of Global Education has spotlighted one of Dr. Jong-Hoon Kim's ATR Lab students, Amrth Ashok Shenava, a sophomore computer science major. He is a special person and student and we are so glad to have him here at KSU!
- Exciting news for KSU from Dr. Javed I. Khan, Professor and Chair of the Dept. of Computer Science. Dr. Khan is the Principal Investigator of a new NSF grant, *Networking Infrastructure: Network for Data Driven Science in Allied 21st Century Smart Multi-Campus System: A Use Case Design Through Kent State's Sharable Science DMZ.
- Congratulations to Dr. Gokarna Sharma who has been awarded a two-year National Science Foundation grant, EAGER: Transactional Memory Foundation for Distributed Multiprocessor Systems.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jong-Hoon Kim's ATR Lab teams for bringing home cash prizes at the ETHBoston Hackathon held at Harvard September 6 - 8. Irvin Cardenas and Xiangxu Lin won a prize for their game app, MinerAdventure. Amrth Ashok Shenava and Pradeep Kumar Paladugula won a prize for their app, Able Coins!
- Congratulations to Dr. Ruoming Jin who is Co-PI with Dr. Deric Kenne of the College of Public Health on their 5-year grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to "develop and implement a real time drug use detection system to inform drug prevention efforts in Portage, Geauga and Lake Counties." The project title is Northeast Ohio Tri-County Prevention Infrastructure.
- Congratulations to Dr. Xiang Lian who was awarded a 2019 Summer Research and Creative Activity Appointment from the University Research Council this past summer.
- Congratulations to Dr. Qiang Guan whose grant from Los Alamos National Laboratory has been expanded for another year. This grant is to Develop, Improve and Perform Research with the Open Sourced Tool PFSEFI Related to Error Propagation.
- Welcome to Dr. Kwangtaek Kim and his family! Dr. Kim has just begun his tenure track as fulltime faculty in the Computer Science Department His specialty area is haptics - watch as his lab develops on the third floor of MSB.