​​​Here are some frequently asked questions about the School of Art.

  1.  What degrees do you offer?  We offer undergraduate and graduate degrees in three areas of study: Art Education, Art History and Studio Art. We offer the B.A. in all areas and a B.F.A. in Studio Art with a choice in concentrations: ceramics, drawing, glass, jewelry/metals/enameling, painting, print media and photography, sculpture and expanded media, and textiles. We also offer M.A. degrees in all areas as well as the M.F.A. degree in studio art. Many of our graduate students teach courses to our undergraduates. More information can be found in the university catalog.
  2. What kind of scholarships do you provide?  At the School of Art, we offer scholarships to our students every semester. You can find more information on scholarships offered through the School on our website. Kent State University also offers many opportunities for financial aid.
  3. Are there hands-on/real-world experiences for students?  Yes! Our Art Education students teach after-school art classes under faculty supervision to area children as a part of their practicum course. Students also complete 100 hours of field and clinical experiences, in both traditional and non-traditional classroom settings. Art History students have opportunities to assist our faculty in doing curatorial work and writing for exhibition catalogs. Studio Art students can join student organizations in their field and sell their artwork to the public with on-campus sales as well as the School of Art’s retail shop called the ARTshop. We also offer credit for internships, if that is something the student wishes to pursue. 
  4. Is there a portfolio review for admission to the School of Art?  There is no portfolio requirement for admission, but students in Studio Art are required to take Common Review by their fourth semester. Passing this course allows students to move into upper-level courses. The Art Education Major Review provides a comprehensive assessment of each student and gauges their readiness for advancement to student teaching. Additionally, we hold portfolio reviews for prospective students annually in the fall who would like feedback on their work. Portfolio Day information can be found on our website. (Note: This may be affected by current safety standards related to the pandemic.)
  5. Are there opportunities to travel? The School of Art offers many travel study opportunities. Each semester, students and faculty travel to New York City to visit museums, galleries, artist studios and more. We also have over-seas programs in Italy, China, France and more. Learn more on our travel study page. (Note: this may be affected by current safety standards related to the pandemic.)
  6. What materials and supplies are required for each course? Each course will have a different list of supplies and/or textbooks that are needed listed on the syllabus you receive at the start of each semester. Some supplies in studio art courses are provided with course fees but others must be purchased by the student at a local art supply store or hardware store. Laptops are not required for any of our majors. 
  7. Do you have student clubs and organizations? The School of Art has numerous student organizations where students can meet like-minded individuals and plan fun activities together. All areas of our school are represented with these clubs. Students work together to raise money by having sales of artwork or other types of fundraisers for group trips and educational opportunities such as conferences. 
  8. What is the difference between the B.A. in Studio Art and the B.F.A. in Studio Art?  The B.F.A. (Bachelor of Fine Arts) in Studio Art is our pre-professional degree which requires a concentration in one of our eight disciplines: ceramics, drawing, glass, jewelry/metals/enameling, painting, print media and photography, sculpture and expanded media, and textiles. The B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) in Studio Art is our liberal arts degree that allows 31 credits of general electives to pursue minors or supplemental course work. This degree also gives freedom to explore more areas of studio art for interdisciplinary work, as opposed to concentrating in one discipline in your upper-division studio courses. More degree information can be found in the university catalog.
  9. What kind of jobs can I get with a Studio Art degree?  Careers in the visual arts can be found in a variety of different organizations and businesses, including schools, universities, non-profit arts organizations, museums, galleries as well as businesses large and small. Our studio art alumni work as artists-in-residence, art preparators, art conservators, arts administrators, gallery directors, artisans, studio managers, small-business owners and as full-time artists, to name a few. Some go on to get master’s degrees to better prepare them for their career goals. See our Careers page for more information.
  10. For the B.A. Art Education major, will I automatically get a license to teach once I graduate and will I be licensed to teach art anywhere in the country? Licensure to teach is not granted automatically. You must take and pass the Ohio Assessment for Educators exam and apply for licensure through the Ohio Department of Education. Program requirements in Art Education at Kent State fulfill requirements to teach art in Ohio in K-12.  Professional licensure requirements vary by state. Learn more on the Professional License Disclosures website.  

    If you have additional questions, please contact us at artinfo@kent.edu