F.A.Q. About Graduate Assistantships in the School of Art
Graduate Assistantships are available in each major program area and are awarded annually on a competitive basis. The service commitment of a graduate assistant appointment may involve teaching, research, or technical support responsibilities, for an average 20 hours per week. Graduate assistants are required to enroll for a minimum of eight credit hours per semester. Individuals applying for a Graduate Assistantship should contact Linda Hoeptner-Poling to schedule an interview with a faculty person from the area to which they are applying.
What kind of assistantships do you offer?
- Assistantships are awarded in all concentrations on a highly competitive basis. *
- The School of Art has 22 teaching assistantships and 1 administrative assistantship.
What is included in an assistantship?
- All assistantships include a stipend and full tuition waiver.
- The university also provides a sizable contribution to offset the cost of a health care plan offered to all graduate assistants.
What would be expected of me?
- Graduate assistants must be fulltime students and have a service commitment of 20 hours per week.
- Graduate Assistants may not fall below a 3.0 GPA
What would I be doing?
- Teaching Assistants work in their own area of study teaching classes, assisting professors, and other important tasks directly related to their area of study.
- The graduate administrative assistant works in the galleries assisting the Director of the School of Art Galleries. This assistantship is awarded to a highly qualified individual from any area of graduate study within the School of Art.
How do I apply?
Submit an Application for Graduate Assistantship and a CV to Graduate Admissions along with your other application materials. Please also send a cover letter by email to Lisa Everson firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us of your interest and please specify the area of study you are applying to.
If you are a current graduate student in the School of Art, please email a cover letter, CV, and the Application for Graduate Assistantship to Lisa Everson and your faculty advisor.
- Assistantships are not available for the M.A.T program.