Physician Feature: March 2021
Before you sit in their office, sit in on an interview with us as we ask Cleveland Foot & Ankle Clinic physicians all the important questions!
Duane J. Ehredt Jr., DPM, FACFAS
Associate Professor, Division of Foot & Ankle Surgery and Biomechanics, Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine
Degrees & Training: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine; Podiatric Medicine & Surgical Residency with Reconstructive Rearfoot / Ankle Surgery, St. Vincent Charity Medical Center ; Lieutenant, United States Navy Reserve
Special Interests: Reconstructive Foot & Ankle Surgery ; Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy; Limb Salvage; Research; Bunion Surgery
- Q: What's your favorite procedure to perform?
- A: Ankle Arthroscopy and Lateral Ankle Stabilization. I feel it's the cornerstone procedure if you want to adequately treat athletes
- Q: What shows are you hooked on right now?
- A: I don't watch much TV, but Disney+ has figured out how to make their short shows tie into the MCU and Star Wars stories quite well, so I've been into The Mandalorian and WandaVision. I'm looking forward to The Falcon and Winter Soldier starting up next week.
- Q: Tell us about your free time!
- A: Pretty much anything I can do with my son, Deakon. When he is with me we do a lot of mountain biking, hiking and playing video games. Otherwise, I like to keep active with racing/triathlon/cross-training. I wouldn't consider myself a "biohacker", but I'm really interested in enhancing wellness through science. For completely mindless fun I like to play video games with our microbiologist, Dr. Dalman.
- Q: Any hidden talents?
- A: Housekeeping (cooking/cleaning/landscaping, etc.) I could never imagine paying someone else to do that kind of stuff.
- Q: What's one thing you can't resist?
- A: Jelly Bellys
- Q: What's one thing you couldn't live without?
- A: Air and water I guess. Otherwise I think I would live just fine without everything else.
- Q: If you weren't a podiatrist, what would you be?
- A: A football coach
- Q: You can bring three guests to a dinner party - living or dead. Who's coming?
- A: My son Deakon, whoever the current US President is at the time, and Jesus
- Q: We finish this interview and you step outside to find a lottery ticket that ends up winning $10 million. What do you do?
- A: Contact my lawyer and set up the necessary entities to protect the cash and my family. Then, figure out what I need to vanish and give the rest away.
- Q: If you could choose a superpower, what would it be?
- A: Wolverine's animal-keen senses, enhanced physical capabilities and healing factor
- Q: Favorite book?
- A: The Harry Potter series
- Q: How do you relax?
- A: I have an infrared sauna system called HigherDose. If I really want to unwind I will get inside that and spend about 30-45 minutes melting away and then immediately take an ice cold shower. It will instantly revive you.
- Q: What is your favorite vacation?
- A: The combination adventure/spa. I don't really like being around a lot of people, so going somewhere I can get away and push the limits a little bit, but then eventually come back to a sauna, massage therapy, and good food would be ideal. I was lucky enough to go to Switzerland a few years back and it was pretty much exactly like that. I like the cold and altitude.
- Q: What motivates you to work hard?
- A: My enemies. Nothing motivates me more than knowing there are forces in the world that are against me.
- Q: How do you take your coffee?
- A: Black. The way God intended it to be.
- Q: What did you want to be when you were little?
- A: As long as I can remember I've always wanted to be a physician.
- Q: Any fun quarantine purchases?
- A: I found a new TT bike for racing triathlons. I'm looking forward to putting that to use this summer. I don't really like to drink much, but someone special got me interested into finer quality scotch and gin during the quarantine. I've enjoyed exploring some unique bottles. I also found a deal on two Onewheels for Deakon and I to zoom around on. It's basically a motorized skateboard/snowboard with one big wheel in the middle. We actually have a lot of fun around town at the various Metroparks with those.