Physician Feature: September, 2021
Before you sit in their office, sit in on an interview with us as we ask Cleveland Foot & Ankle Clinic physicians all the important questions!
Meet Rachel Johnson, DPM, RN
Associate Professor, Department of Podiatric Medicine, Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine
Degrees & Training: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine
Special Interests: Wound care, Diabetic preventive foot care
Qualifications: Podiatric Medical & Surgical Residency, University Hospitals-Richmond Medical Center ; Wound Care & Infectious Disease Podiatric Fellowship, University Hospitals-Richmond Medical Center
- Q: What's it like being a podiatrist in a global pandemic?
- A: Complicated and busy!! Patients still need to be seen and precautions need to be taken!
- Q: What shows are you hooked on right now?
- A: Totally waiting for the next season of Cobra Kai!!
- Q: Tell us about your free time!
- A: What free time!! 2 kids and a new puppy so that is my free time :) and occasionally I sneak in reading a book!
- Q: Any hidden talents?
- A: I wish! I do like to try new cooking recipes when I get the chance!
- Q: What's one thing you can't resist?
- A: Panera cranberry orange muffins!
- Q: What's something you can't live without?
- A: They are a package deal - my husband and children.
- Q: What was your very first job?
- A: A waitress and I was terrible at it! I knew I had to have another goal in life!
- Q: If you weren't a podiatrist, what would you be?
- A: Well I have been an RN before podiatry but if I had a next career maybe a Librarian or I could go back to my childhood dream of being Indiana Jones! I used to love archeology!
- Q: What's your favorite place to be?
- A: A beach somewhere!
- Q: We finish this interview and you step outside to find a lottery ticket that ends up winning $10 million. What do you do?
- A: Pay off my student loans!! Then in no particular order: Tell my husband to stop worrying, we can remodel the kitchen and bathroom now ; start or work with a non-profit to do a foot health / shoe fitting and dispensing of shoes to underprivileged kids (I believe a good foundation in education can open so many doors for children in the future) and have an aftercare/ beforecare service for working parents of the children. I have volunteered for a program with aspects of this through our church service day and I think it's so meaningful. It takes the stress off parents.
- Q: If you could choose a superpower, what would it be?
- A: Hmmm tough one! Maybe flying or strength or maybe I can just pick Superman's powers?
- Q: Favorite book?
- A: Super tough as it depends on my reading mood/genre but let's go with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- Q: Who is your role model and why?
- A: My mom. She is resilient, tough, positive, and loves us no matter what but can tell us when we may need to rethink something.
- Q: If you could live anywhere, where would you choose?
- A: I would choose a house right on the beach or maybe a lakehouse.
- Q: How do you relax?
- A: Who has time to relax!! I like to read or go out for a walk when I get time!
- Q: What motivates you to work hard?
- A: I think it's just ingrained from when I was young. I know my family, students, and patients depend on me to give them my best.
- Q: How do you take your coffee?
- A: No coffee here! Being from WV - sweet tea is my caffeine fix!
- Q: Any fun quarantine purchases?
- A: We recently got a new puppy to add to the chaos!
- Q: What's your morning routine look like on a typical weekday?
- A: Organized chaos!! Between 2 kids getting ready for school, a puppy that needs out, and always a missing backpack, homework, or a shoe to find...