Dominican Republic - Spring Break 2024
Compassion Meets Innovation Through Hands of Gratitude: A Transformative Service Learning Experience in the Dominican Republic
Location: Santo Domingo, Bayahibe
Dates: March 23-28, 2024
- Course: ETEC 47495
- No. of Credits: 1 hour
- Instructor: Dr. Annette Kratcoski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- OPEN TO ALL MAJORS!
- Scholarships available
This course will provide opportunities for students to explore topics of human-centered design and social entrepreneurship. Students will immerse themselves in the culture of the Dominican Republic and build relationships with the local community by working with Hands of Gratitude, a nonprofit organization that provides 3D-printed prosthetic hands needed by tens of thousands of people around the world and here in the United States. Prior to traveling, students will engage in human-centered design, focusing on the production of prosthetic hands for distribution in the Dominican Republic, where they will engage with recipients and their families to understand their unique needs and stories.
- Contribute to the Hands of Gratitude community by creating and delivering prosthetic hands that transform lives
- Explore social entrepreneurship and human-centered design principles, blending compassion with cutting-edge technology
- Immerse yourself in the culture, nature, and history of Santo Domingo, "The Colonial City", a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Discover waterfalls, natural pools, and caves nestled in the Dominican landscape
- Bask in the beauty of pristine beaches along the Caribbean coast of Bayahibe
Deadline: January 22, 2024
To Apply: Visit the Dominican Republic Study Abroad website to complete an application and set up a payment plan.