Men's Basketball Headed to Cleveland for 2017 MAC Tournament
The Kent State University men's basketball team has its sights set on a league championship and a NCAA Tournament bid as it competes in the 2017 Mid-American Conference Tournament in Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland March 9-11.
- The Kent State men's basketball team has punched its ticket to Cleveland, advancing to the quarterfinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament after Monday's epic 116-106 win over Central Michigan.
- The Golden Flashes are set to face Buffalo in the quarterfinals Thursday, capping off a full slate in Cleveland that features: #8 Eastern Michigan vs. #1 Akron, #5 Western Michigan vs. #4 Ball State and #7 Toledo vs. #2 Ohio. Kent State and Buffalo are expected to tip off around 9 p.m. on Spectrum Sports.
- The winner of the late evening game will face the winner of Toledo and Ohio Friday at 8 p.m. on CBS Sports Network. The championship game, with the winner headed to the NCAA Tournament, is scheduled for Saturday at 7:30 p.m. on ESPN2.
- The Flashes are entering the quarterfinals coming off one of the greatest games to ever be played in the MAC Tournament and in the historic M.A.C. Center. Kent State and Central Michigan combined for 222 points in the overtime battle. Winning 116-106, the Flashes passed the MAC Tournament scoring record by eight points, while the Chippewas were two shy of the previous mark. Kent State was just three points short of the M.A.C. Center scoring record, set in 1964 at 119 against Wayne State.
- The win was Kent State's sixth over the last seven games, a run that includes wins over the top three seeds in the MAC Tournament, including Buffalo. The Flashes won on the Bulls' home floor, 77-69, just over two weeks ago on Feb. 21. Buffalo is still hot, winning eight of its last 10 games.
- Kent State and Buffalo have faced each other four times in the MAC Tournament, with the Flashes holding a 3-1 record against them. All three of Kent State's wins against them have come in the quarterfinal round. Kent State holds a 30-15 overall record against Buffalo.
- Kent State has won five MAC Tournament Championships in program history, and a win Thursday would place the Flashes in the semifinal round for the 17th time. Kent State is in search of its first MAC Tournament Championship since 2008.
POSTED: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 - 1:33pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 - 2:08pm