Location & Facilities
The School of Information (iSchool) is located in the heart of the Kent Campus, on the third floor of the University Library, a 12-story, open-stack library that features a complete learning resource center, new Math Emporium and renowned Special Collections and Archives department. The School offers state-of-the-art technology, unique and flexible classroom space, a computer laboratory, student lounge, distance learning and videoconferencing facilities, and wireless Internet access.
All courses offered in the iSchool are available online. The Ph.D. in Communication and Information, which allows a focus in various library and information science disciplines, is available only as a residential program at the Kent Campus.
All inquiries about the iSchool and applying to the program should be directed to the Kent Campus office: 330-672-2782 or iSchool@kent.edu.
The Kent Campus of Kent State University is located in northeast Ohio in a city of about 28,000 residents on the banks of the Cuyahoga River in Portage County. Yet, the campus is only a short drive from the resources of four major urban centers:
- 11 miles east of Akron
- 33 miles southeast of Cleveland
- 40 miles west of Youngstown
- 28 miles north of Canton
The iSchool's location in the University Library, directly across Risman Plaza from the Kent Student Center, gives students easy access to parking, dining facilities, the University Bookstore, study space and bus transportation. Inside the library, the iSchool's administrative and faculty offices are close to classrooms, research and study areas, offering students instruction, advising and administrative assistance in one convenient location. Administrative offices are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Faculty office hours vary; please see individual faculty listings or your course syllabus for that information.
Exceptional learning facilities at the iSchool location on the Kent Campus include the following:
- Research Facilities
- Digital Laboratories
- Reinberger Children's Library Center
- Usability Lab
- Distance Learning and Videoconferencing Facilities
- Student Computer Lab
- All current iSchool students have access to computer equipment in the lab (315). It is open during posted hours each semester, unless it is being used for a class. A scanner also is available in this room. Students using these systems receive student accounts in the Active Directory, file space and the ability to print to the departmental laser printers.
- Student Lounge
- The Kent Campus facility offers a lounge where students can study and relax between classes. The lounge is open during the same hours as the Student Computer Lab.
Plan Your Visit
Learn more about the area, including lodging and transportation options, and get a campus map.
Kent State University Library
Room 314 (third floor)
1125 Risman Drive
Kent, Ohio 44242