Dr. Insook Kim
Dr. Insook Kim is an associate professor in the physical education program at Kent State University, and coordinator of the Physical Education program. Dr. Kim has worked as a physical education teacher in public middle schools in Seoul, South Korea and received her doctoral degree in physical education teacher education at the Ohio State University.
Dr. Kim's research focuses on teachers’ content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge. Dr. Kim’s interest is to improve teachers’ high-quality instruction by strengthening their content knowledge for teaching and in turn influencing student learning. Fourteen peer-reviewed articles have been published in the top tier journals. Fifteen presentations have been conducted to disseminate the results of the studies at the national and international conferences. “Research Fellow” status was reserved for a member who have made significant and sustained contribution to scholarship (research, creative, or scholarly activity) and related service in the areas of interest of SHAPE America in 2016.
Dr. Kim has been invited as a reviewer for the peer-reviewed journals: Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, European Physical Education Review, Journal of Sport and Health Science, and Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy. Dr. Kim was invited to be a review panel chair of Teaching & Learning Research for the SHAPE America in 2018. Dr. Kim has been invited as a reviewer of annual convention planning committee for the SHAPE America since 2014 and as a reviewer of the research grant program and research fellow review committees for the SHAPE America during 2017~2019. Dr. Kim has served as a member of the curriculum, FAC, and RPT committees at the School of TLC and a member of the scholarship award committee at the College of EHHS and a member of the EPC at Kent State University.
- Kim, I., & Ward, P. (2021). Changes in the content development and adaptive competence of teachers following a specialized content knowledge workshop. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education.
- Kim, I. (2020). Evidence-based practices for developing in-depth content knowledge of physical education teachers. International Journal of Kinesiology in Higher Education.
- Ward, P., Ayvazo, S., Dervent, F., Iserbyt, P., & Kim, I. (2020). Instructional progression and the role of working models in physical education. Quest.
- Kim, I. Oh, D., Kim, M., & Cho, K. (2020). Teaching pickleball with in-depth content knowledge in middle school physical education. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
- Teaching Scholar, 2016-2017
- SHAPE America Research Fellow, 2016