6 - 11.2
Administrative policy regarding conversion of sick leave
- Policy statement. The university recognizes that employees may need to be absent from their regularly scheduled work hours for a variety of circumstances not covered under the policy governing paid sick leave. Eligible employees may convert accrued sick leave to other types of paid leave subject to the terms set forth below. A maximum of forty hours (five days) (twenty-four hours/three days for part-time employees) may be converted each fiscal year.
- Conversion to personal leave
- Definition. Personal leave is converted from sick leave at the time it is used. It is intended to cover absences due to mandatory court appearances, legal or business matters, family emergencies, unusual family obligations, weddings, religious holidays, community service leave or any other personal matter.
- Eligibility. All classified and unclassified administrative and professional employees with continuing appointment not represented by a collective bargaining unit are eligible to convert accrued sick leave to paid personal leave, so long as they retain a balance of at least one hundred twenty hours (sixty hours for part-time employees) of accrued sick leave.
- Utilization. Personal leave may be requested in minimum units of one-half day. Employees are expected to request personal leave in advance. The employee should submit a leave form to the immediate supervisor indicating the date, time and purpose of the leave. If the employee is unable to submit a request with reasonable notice in advance, the employee should follow standard procedures for reporting time off due to illness. Personal leave will not be granted without the approval of the supervisor.
- Leave balance. The requesting employee must maintain a minimum balance of one hundred twenty hours (sixty hours for part-time employees)hours of accrued unused sick leave in order to convert sick leave to personal leave.
- Calculation of overtime. Paid personal leave does not count toward forty hours of regular paid time in determining when an hourly classified employee is eligible for overtime.
- Maximum. An employee may convert a maximum of forty hours (five days) (twenty-four hours/three days for part-time employees) of sick leave to personal leave in any fiscal year.
- Conversion to vacation.
- Eligibility. All classified and unclassified administrative and professional employees with continuing appointment not represented by a collective bargaining unit are eligible to convert accrued sick leave to vacation during the month of September each year so long as they have a balance of at least 500 hours (250 hours for part-time employees) of earned unused sick leave and they do not have a current accrued balance of vacation more than the maximum allowed in administrative policy 3342-6-11.7(D)(1).
Policy Effective Date:
Mar. 01, 2015
Policy Prior Effective Dates:09/15/2003, 2/1/2004, 6/1/2007, 2/25/2009