5 - 12.501
Operational procedures and regulations regarding use of automobiles owned or leased by the university
- University-owned vehicles assigned to a department shall be used only for official university business.
- Only university employees are permitted to drive motor vehicles owned or leased by the university. Students are not permitted to drive a university owned vehicle unless specific authorization is granted by the department head.
- All persons driving motor vehicles owned or leased by the university must hold a valid driver's license in the state of Ohio or in the state in which the operator resides. Supervisor authorizing the assignment of a motor vehicle shall require verification of a driver's license. Drivers are liable for all violations issued while the vehicles are assigned to them.
- The department shall be responsible for any deductible amount, other uninsured expense or damage to the contents of the vehicle.
- Eligible employees, as defined in 3342-5-12.5 of the Administrative Code shall be authorized to obtain a university leased vehicle by contacting the procurement department and returning a properly authorized Vehicle Preference and Selection Form.
- University automobiles provided as part of an employee's employment contract may be used for personal use outside the daily commute when the employee makes a contribution toward the cost of the vehicle. The amount of contribution shall be determined by the vice president for administration. Any personal use in excess of an employee's contribution toward these costs will be calculated annually and included as taxable earnings on the employee's W-2 form in accordance with the appropriate laws and regulations.
- Employees who have a vehicle provided as part of their compensation package, including but not limited to the president, executive officers, regional campus deans, and other employees as approved by the president, shall be given the option of obtaining a university leased vehicle as described in paragraph (A) of this rule, or receiving a monthly stipend. The monthly stipend amount shall be determined from time to time by the vice president for administration. This amount shall be sufficient to cover the business usage portion of acquiring a personally owned vehicle and related costs. In addition, employee's receiving a stipend will be eligible for reimbursement of business miles traveled at standard IRS mileage rates.
Policy Effective Date:
Mar 01, 2015
Policy Prior Effective Dates:11/4/1977, 4/30/1982, 1/11/1991, 2/17/1994, 3/7/2000, 1/17/2002, 6/4/2003, 6/1/2007