5 - 22
University policy regarding deadly weapons
- Policy statement. Pursuant to the statutory authority of the board of trustees to regulate the use of university property and the conduct of the students, staff, faculty, and visitors to the campus so that law and order are maintained, it is the policy of the university to prohibit the possession, storage, or use of a deadly weapon in certain circumstances on university property, unless otherwise permitted by state law.
- “Deadly weapon” means any instrument, device, or thing as defined in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code including but not limited to a firearm, explosive device, or other dangerous ordnance.
- “University property” means all university owned, operated, or leased property including but not limited to grounds, buildings, facilities, and vehicles.
- The possession, storage, or use of a deadly weapon by students, staff, faculty, third parties doing business with the university, and visitors is prohibited inside any university building, facility, or vehicle, that is owned, operated or leased by the university.
- Students, staff, faculty, and third parties doing business with the university are further prohibited from possessing, storing, or using a deadly weapon while outside on university grounds, that is owned, operated or leased by the university.
- The Kent state university department of public safety is solely responsible for the oversight and implementation of this policy on university property. All requests for deviation or exceptions of this policy must be approved by the director of public safety or designee.
- Violations of this policy are subject to immediate corrective action in accordance with university policies and other applicable state law.
This policy formerly numbered 3342-5-12.13.
Policy Effective Date:
Nov 01, 2016
Policy Prior Effective Dates:7/4/2008, 3/1/2015