10 - 07
University policy regarding misconduct in research and scholarship
- Purpose. One of the major responsibilities of faculty and staff at Kent state university is research and scholarship. Given the importance and influence of research on both the academic community and on society, the university faculty and administration want to assure that all scholarship and research is of the highest possible quality. It is the policy of the university to respond to allegations of misconduct in scholarly and research activities, and to do so with concern for all university processes which protect the rights of all parties involved.
- Policy. Although scholarly practices vary greatly, all are built upon a foundation of commonly accepted standards. When planning, proposing, and conducting research and scholarship, and disseminating the results thereof, the following standards shall apply:
- All members of the university community share a responsibility to adhere to standards of integrity in their scholarly work and to report fraudulent and other substantial acts of misconduct when they are known or are suspected to have occurred.
- Each unit engaged in scholarship and research has the responsibility to maintain an atmosphere that fosters integrity and to follow university procedures for dealing expeditiously and fairly with allegations of misconduct and fraud.
- All supervisors of research and scholarship have the responsibility to monitor carefully the activity being conducted under their supervision and to subject procedures and findings to rigorous evaluation.
- Scope. No university employee shall engage in misconduct or fraud in the performance of research and scholarly activities or in deviation from accepted standards and practices in any phase of such activities. This shall include violations of applicable federal and state laws and regulations as well as university rules, regulations, and policies.
This policy formerly numbered 3342-3-05.
Policy Effective Date:Oct. 15, 2016
Policy Prior Effective Dates:6/29/1989, 9/19/2005, 6/1/2007, 3/1/2015