- Academic Departments
- Academic Success Center
- Academic Learning Center, Columbiana Campus
- Academic Advising - Undergraduate
- Academic STARS
- Academic Testing Services
- Academic Transfer
- Accreditation, Assessment and Learning (formerly Academic Quality Improvement Project or AQIP)
- Accounting, Department of
- Accounts Payable
- Accessibility Services
- Administrative Offices
- Adult Students
- Advanced Placement Program
- Aerospace Studies/Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp
- Affirmative Action Office
- Air Force ROTC
- Alma Mater
- Alumni Relations
- Animal Research
- Annual Kent State Symposium on Democracy
- Apps, Kent State
- Anthropology, Department of
- Architecture and Environmental Design, College of
- Architect's Office
- Army ROTC
- Art, School of
- Art Education
- Arts and Sciences, College of
- Arts, College of the
- Ashtabula Campus
Porthouse College Academy
The Porthouse Theatre Academy is a musical theatre summer intensive program for high school graduates intending to enroll at Kent State University’s School of Theatre and Dance as a theatre major. Participants may enroll in either the 3 or 6 credit hour program.
Download 2017 Porthouse College Academy Brochure
Dates and Tuition
|Credit Hour Program||Dates||In-State Tuition||Out-of-State Tuition|
|3 Credit Hours||July 11 - July 30, 2017||$1,368.00||$2,454.00|
|6 Credit Hours||July 11 - August 13, 2017||$2,736.00||$4,908.00|
WHO THE PROGRAM IS FOR
- Students already accepted into the BFA Musical Theatre Program who wish to get a head start on their college career.
- Students who are not accepted into the BFA Program and are seeking assistance in strengthening their audition skills. The students will have the opportunity to reaudition for the BFA Musical Theatre program after the completion of the summer intensive.
- Current Kent State Theatre majors who would like to audition for the BFA Musical Theatre Program.
- Receive three credit hours all of which apply to the graduation requirements in both the BFA Musical Theatre and the BA Theatre Studies Programs.
- Get a head start in the School of Theatre and Dance and prepare for the main stage season auditions.
- Receive advanced training in audition preparation.
- Enroll in the Equity Membership Candidate Program and receive up to five AEA points.
- Network with professional theatre artists from across the country.
structure and Schedule
July 11 - July 24
Students will enroll in three 1 credit hour courses:
- Musical Theatre Dance
- Voice and Ensemble Singing
- Acting and Monologue Preparation
These classes will meet Tuesday through Sunday from 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Students will attend Newsies rehearsals and attend Master Classes from 2:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
July 25 - 30
Students will attend:
- The three 1 credit hour classes from 1:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Rehearsals from 7:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Opening night of Newsies on July 28
Students in the 3 credit hour workshop will be asked to perform in the cabaret-style Greenshow during opening weekend of Newsies. The option is available to continue in the Greenshow through August 13.
July 25 - August 13 (6 Credit Hour Program Only)
Students will attend:
- Master Classes and/or rehearse new musical from 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Perform in Greenshow at Porthouse from 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Work in assigned area at Porthouse from 7:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Those enrolled in the 6 credit hour program will receive hands-on experience during the production of Newsies. Students will work in the areas of management, run crew, and/or performance.