If not required or preferred, what are the attributes I should consider before using a vendor?
Purchasing or servicing with a vendor is not as simple as "lowest cost" or "best overall value." As a steward of university funds, and state funds, there are important considerations to question before placing an order or service request.
- Have you investigated all diverse vendor options? If not, please see the Supplier Diversity website for information on how to find minority vendors.
- Have you considered all local, Buy Ohio, or Made-in America options? Please contact Procurement for assistance.
- Is the vendor a member of a valid consortium agreement or State of Ohio contract? The university may benefit from rebates or pricing discounts, if yes, please contact Procurement for assistance and regulations.
- Do the good(s)/service(s) to be procured include software, computer hardware, digital content, web-based information or applications, or 3rd party web services (such as marketing, research, monitoring.)? If yes, please review policy 4-16 that promotes equal access to all persons.
- Is there a personal relationship between a university employee and the referenced vendor? If yes, a Conflict of Interest form must be completed as found on the Procurement website.
- Will the vendor have access to classified Kent State University data? And/or will the vendor need to share this institutional data with partners to accomplish its mission? If yes, a security risk assessment must be performed prior to purchase or award.
- Is the vendor in compliance with the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) requirements of Executive Orders 11246 as amended by 11375? If not, you may not use this vendor as subject to the Ohio Revised Code and university policy.