Help for Yourself

What should I do if I am sexually assaulted?
  • Get to a safe location. If you are unsure where to go or can think of nowhere that is safe for you at this time, please consider calling SRVSS, Townhall II or Kent State Police.  Townhall II also offers text based support Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 6-10 PM.  Text 330-294-7112 for support.
  • Get Support. Consider asking a trusted friend or relative to be with you for support.
  • Seek medical care as soon as possible. You may need to receive basic medical treatment for injuries, and you may have injuries of which you are not aware at this time. You also may be at risk of acquiring a sexual transmitted infection (and women may also be at risk for pregnancy). Trained staff at the DeWeese Health Center or the local emergency room can speak with you about all of the medical options available at this time.
  • Preserve all evidence. If you choose to file a report with the police, it is important that you:
    • do not bathe, wash your hands, brush your teeth, drink, eat, or even use the restroom—all these things can destroy evidence that may be helpful in a criminal investigation; however, if you have done any of these things, evidence may still be collected
    • do not clean or remove anything from the location where it occurred
    • save text, email, social media app and voice messages
  • Connect with SRVSS.  SRVSS works closely with campus resources and may assist you in determining what, if any, steps you wish to take. They can put you in touch with the DeWeese Health Center staff, Kent State Police Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, as well as off-campus resources.  
    • When meeting with SRVSS , you have the right to share as little or as much as you are comfortable.  While SRVSS can not guarantee total confidentiality of what is shared, we respect your privacy to withhold identifying information and will be upfront on the limitations without identifying information.
  • Document what happened. You may choose to file a report with Kent State University Police Services or local police. Reporting what happened does not require that you file criminal charges, but rather, it puts in place supports systems that you may choose to use.
    • You can also file a complaint through the university process.  SRVSS can explain this process and your options within in.
    • If you are not ready to file any formal record, write down as much as you can remember and add memories as they come back.
  • Seek emotional support. While taking care of your physical needs may be the first step in taking care of yourself, it is important not to neglect the emotions you may be experiencing as a result of the assault. Psychological Services and SRVSS have staff that are specially trained to assist students with recovery and healing.
  • Know that what happened was not your fault.

It is your choice to determine when and in what manner you recover from your trauma. Give yourself the time you need and know that it is never too late to get support.