Call for Proposals
24th Annual Conference
Celebrating College Teaching
Friday, October 20, 2017
Kent State University - Kent, Ohio
Call for Abstracts:
Deadline: Extended to August 1, 2017
This is an open call, but if you received funding from the University Teaching Council, you are obligated to submit an abstract and present your work.
This call for proposals is for the annual Celebrating College Teaching Conference. Proposals will be considered in the following formats, but due to the limited number of roundtable spaces, authors may be asked to present in an alternate format. All proposals must align with the Mission and Vision of the Strategic Roadmap for a Distinctive Kent State:
To be a community of change agents whose collective commitment to learning sparks epic thinking, meaningful voice and invaluable outcomes to better our society.
We transform lives and communities through the power of discovery, learning and creative expression in an inclusive environment.
Refereed Roundtables - October 20, 2017 – Morning Session: 9:00 - 10:30 a.m.
Two 40-minute sessions per Roundtable will be presented.
- Deliver 10-minute presentation of key concepts (No PowerPoint or formal lecturing).
- Stimulate and encourage discussion among participants at the table for the remaining 30 minutes.
- Provide at least 20 copies of handouts (where appropriate) for guests at the table.
(Must not be multimodal presentations, unless printable).
Poster Sessions - October 20, 2017 – Afternoon Session: 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Unlimited poster or display format (including video) to involve interaction among conference attendees.
- Present in any modality that is appropriate to suit content (multimodal presentations allowed).
- You are REQUIRED to stay the entire poster session if presenting
- Note: Support from the Center for Teaching and Learning is available to assist presenters with the design and layout of poster presentation.
- If you are selecting to present a poster, you will be asked if you are interested in presenting a 3 min Lightning Round. A limited number of poster presentations will be selected for Lightning Rounds.
For poster presentation examples visit Poster Session through Kent State University Libraries.
Lightning Rounds - October 20, 2017– Afternoon session: 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
A limited number of poster presentations will be selected for Lightning Rounds.
SEE ADDITIONAL CALL FOR PROPOSALS - LIGHTNING ROUNDS FOR SPECIFIC DETAILS
A series of 10 speakers will present 3-minute talks on innovative techniques in teaching followed by brief roundtable discussions with individual presenters.
- Create a “catchy” title to capture the essence of your work.
- Present teaching innovation in a fun and exciting format followed by facilitated discussion
Submission Requirements - Please note:
- Indicate submission division (Roundtable or Poster)
(If your choice cannot be honored, you will be asked to present in a different format.)
- Submit a clearly worded 100- to 150-word abstract describing the nature of the work as it pertains to this proposal. Include its applicability to teaching and how the authors will engage participants.
- Include title (no more than 10 words), all authors and institutions.
- Include address, phone number and email addresses of all authors.
All submissions for Roundtables, Panel, or Poster - click the button below.
NOTE: Lightning Round submissions refer to www.kent.edu/utc/lightninground for instructions
Proposal submissions will be peer-reviewed by a Celebrating College Teaching Conference ad-hoc committee
If you have questions, please contact: Kimberly S. Peer, Ed. D., Conference Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org