ArtsLAUNCH! Grant Competition
Research and Creative Activity are vital for the advancement of any discipline, and to encourage new and innovative ideas in the arts and arts entrepreneurship, Kent State University College of the Arts, in partnership with LaunchNET, established ArtsLAUNCH! in late 2021. It’s an annual grant competition designed to promote new art and new arts ventures that will positively impact the arts economy.
The competition is open to all undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at Kent State University. While cross-campus collaboration with disciplines that intersect with the arts are encouraged, it is not required.
Students may submit grant proposals in one of two categories to facilitate 1) the creation of new art, or 2) the creation of a new venture that will benefit some aspect of the arts economy.
The proposals will be judged by a panel of faculty and those working in the arts economy with the following rubrics:
New Art Category
A grant will be awarded for new art (e.g., art, music, film, dance, photography, fashion, etc.), or a new creative work that incorporates an art form with another discipline, that demonstrates creativity, uniqueness, and represents the artist’s intent.
New Arts Venture Category
A grant will be awarded to the new venture proposal most likely to launch, and to most-positively impact the arts economy.
How to Apply
Completed applications and accompanying videos must be uploaded to the link below by Friday, September 23, 2022 at 11:59pm Eastern.
Information to Prepare Prior to Submitting Application
The application form will request the following information:
- Contact information
- Type of project (New Art or New Arts Venture) you will create
- List of collaborators (if applicable)
- 2-minute video describing your project
- Completed proposed Timeline and Budget Form (see below)
Proposed Timeline and Budget Form
Please download and complete the form below. You will be asked to upload it when filling out the online grant application.
Announcement of Winners
ArtsLAUNCH! semi-finalists will be notified by October 1, 2022, and their video proposals will be displayed throughout the day at the Art Without Limits event on October 7, 2022 in the DI Hub Lobby.
Winners will be announced at 12:00 p.m. during the Art Without Limits event.
Terms and Conditions
- There will be up to four grants, one for each category in each division.
- Grant winners will be announced at Art Without Limits on October 7, 2022, and stipends will be processed following the announcement of the winners.
- Finalists agree to display their proposal videos throughout the day at Art Without Limits.
- Applicants must be students in good standing at Kent State University.
- Students may submit more than one proposal for each category.
- The determination of the judges is final.
- Winners will be required to apply to present their proposals or art at the KSU Research Symposium.
- The College of the Arts reserves the right to alter the terms and conditions of this grant at any time.
Grant Award Package Includes
- $250 grant to pursue the proposal
- Subject of College of the Arts communication announcing the winning proposals
- 60-minute session with a mentor working in the discipline of the selected proposals
- Additional benefits may be included in the award package
Program of Study: Fashion Merchandising
Category: New Art, Undergraduate
Project: "The Act of Getting Dressed"
Watch Maysun Perez's Video Submission
Program of Study: Print Media and Photography
Category: New Art, Graduate
Project: "Large Scale Chemigrams"
Watch Brittany Gorelick's Video Submission
Marina Di Franco
Program of Study: Visual Communications Design
Category: New Arts Venture, Undergraduate
Project: "Sun in Leo – An Upcycled Circular Brand"
Watch Marina Di Franco's Video Submission
For More Information
Contact Nick Petrella at firstname.lastname@example.org