The FabLab has a growing suite of CNC equipment:
- 3 axis LAGUNA 4’x8’ Router
- 4’ x 4’ TORCHMATE plasma cutter
- Desktop SHAPEOKO routers
- 6 axis KUKA KR60HA robotic arm
Use of CNC equipment is by appointment only and is initiated through a web-based Submission Form. Users are responsible for preparing all digital files (CAD and CAM) and supplying materials. The FabLAB uses RhinoCAM and Fusion360 for machine programming. CNC processes incur cost rates * based on runtime:
- LAGUNA CNC router - $0.20 / min
- FabLAB CNC router cutting tools - $0.07 / min
- TORCHMATE CNC plasma cutter - $5.00 / 15 min
- CNC programming - $10.00 / 30 min (first 15 min free)
* Rates are for CAED academic work. KSU member and non-KSU member use operate at higher associated rates, provided at request. CAED use is given first priority.
All users must complete Shop Safety Orientation.
In the FabLAB, safety is the most important word. Students, faculty, and staff are all required to complete the Shop Safety Orientation before any use of the facility and its equipment will be permitted. The FabLAB is available for academic pursuits only, and its use is at the discretion of managing staff.
Fabrication is extremely rewarding and critical to the mission of the CAED, but it is also inherently dangerous, even for professionals. Special Training is required to use any powered equipment without immediate direct supervision by FabLAB staff. These specialized training modules are by appointment and at the availability of qualified staff.
The FabLAB is located on the basement level of the CAED at 132 S. Lincoln St., Kent OH
Open for academic use when classes are in session and supervision is available. Safety Training is required before use, by appointment only, throught the FabLAB website. CNC Equipment use is by appointment only, through the FabLAB website.
Summer 2018 Hours
Walk in hours of operation:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 9 a.m. - noon and 1 p.m - 5 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday: 1 -5 p.m.
Equipment use subject to Student Assistant discretion.
- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday: 1-9 p.m.
- Sunday 1-5 p.m.
SUMMER 2018 HOURS
Closed during the summer semester.
Fall 2018 Hours
To be announced
Chip Clark, FabLAB Manager
Credits: Created with images by Chris Ralston - "untitled image" • Simon Caspersen - "Powerdrill" • BarelyFitz - "spinning wheel" • agordon1 - "IMG_0095" • Russ Ward - "Plasma Cutter" • jarmoluk - "robot arm technology"