Dr. Coffman, has helped establish the global understanding of green roofs as constructed urban ecosystems and is a leading figure in the area of living architecture.
Currently, he is the Executive Director of the Greater Ohio Living Architecture (GOLA) Center, the Editor of the Journal of Living Architecture, Executive Board Member/Chair of the International Research Committee on Living Architecture (GRHC) and Director of the Novel Ecology Design Lab (NEDLab). At Kent State, he is an Associate Professor and Coordinator of the Masters of Science in Architecture and Environmental Design. His teaching focuses on interdisciplinary coursework to aid students in the understanding, conceptualization, design, and construction of contrived ecological systems. He uses narratives to help construct socio-ecological linkages that assist in the creation and understanding of place.
Dr. Coffman leads and advises doctoral and masters students in dissertation, thesis and graduate projects in CAED, Kent State and other institutions.
More information visit www.nedlab.org
- Honor Award, Research Category | Central States American Society of Landscape Architecture | 2011
- Construction of Rain Gardens with Expanded Clay | Pisces Award | US & Region 6 Environmental Protection Agency | 2011
- Experimental Green Roof (w/ L. Fithian and P. Klein) | Outstanding Research Faculty | College of Architecture, University of Oklahoma | 2011
- Award of Excellence | Keep Oklahoma Beautiful | Experiment Green roof at the National Weather Center | 2010
- Merit Award (w/ L. Fithian and P. Klein) | Research Category | Central States American Society of Landscape Architecture | 2010
- Vegetative Roof Systems; A Multi-study Investigation | Merit Award | OKASLA | Research Category | 2008
- Ecoroof Research Paper Compilation | Honorable Mention | OKASLA | Research and Planning Category | ‘Path to Peace’ | 2007
- Design Award | United Cerebral Palsy | Open Category, ‘The Sea- A playground' | 2000
- Honor Award | ASLA | Planning Category, ‘Pikes Peak Master Plan’ | Contributing environmental consultant w/Design Workshop as leading consultant | 2000