Senior Guest Program
The Senior Guest Program at Kent State University allows Ohio residents age 60 years and older to attend regular university on-campus classes on a tuition-free basis.
- To qualify for the Senior Guest Program, the Senior Guest must be 60 years of age or older and have resided in the state of Ohio for at least one year.
- Senior Guests are permitted to enroll in 1 to 2 classes per semester, in courses where classroom space is available, and is approved by the instructor and/or department of the courses involved. Senior Guests will be permitted to attend classes only after degree seeking students have registered and the instructor/department have given permission.
- See the Schedule of Classes for a list of courses.
- A Senior Guest must either satisfy prerequisite class requirements or we will request instructor/department permission.
- The Office Continuing and Distance Education will make the request to the instructor for your admittance into a class. A Senior Guest must either satisfy prerequisite class requirements or we will request instructor/department permission.
- An email notification will be sent to your personal email address upon acceptance into the class.
- Workshops are excluded.
- College credit is not awarded.
- Senior Guests are responsible for special course fees that some classes have to cover materials and supplies. Fees can be viewed during registration. Special course fees must be paid prior to attending class. ONLY checks are accepted as form of payment for fees. Senior Guests are responsible for the purchase of books, parking permits and their own transportation.
Summer 2017 Registration Dates
Please contact our office for an appointment to register for INTERSESSION classes only, 330-672-2002.
Classes start: May 22, 2017
Classes end: June 9, 2017
Duration: 3 Weeks
Senior Guest Registration Dates
Tuesday, June 6 & Wednesday, June 7, 2017
Classes start: June 12, 2017
Classes end: July 15, 2017
Duration: 5 Weeks
Classes start: June 12, 2017
Classes end: August 5, 2017
Duration: 8 Weeks
Classes start: July 17, 2017
Classes end: August 19, 2017
Duration: 5 Weeks
Registration for Courses at the Kent Campus
120 North Lincoln Street
(Lincoln and Main) behind Papa John's Pizza
- All registrations must be completed in-person at the Office of Continuing and Distance Education, 120 North Lincoln Street, Kent, OH.
- There is parking adjacent to the building on North Lincoln Street.
- The registration period for the Senior Guest program is immediately prior to the start of each semester. You must bring proof of age with you to register.
- The Office of Continuing and Distance Education will notify Senior Guests of their permission to attend the courses they have selected.
- Late registrations will not be accepted.
For questions or more details, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Office of Continuing and Distance Education at 330-672-2002 or 330-672-3100.
Senior Guest students are encouraged to do the assignments and to participate fully in class discussion and activities, but always at the discretion of the instructor. Taking exams is optional.
Kent State’s Advisory Web page at www.kent.edu/advisory. This page lists any closings across the university’s eight-campus system. A red bar will appear on the top of the www.kent.edu home page if there is a cancellation or closing. The information is also posted to the university’s Facebook page and Twitter.
Television and radio broadcasts. For a complete listing of all of the television and radio stations to which Kent Campus cancellation information is reported, please visit this guide.
Below is additional information about the University and some of its many resources available to members of the community:
Kent State University Library
Senior Guests 60 years of age or older may become library users at any Kent State University Library free of charge. If you would like to receive your Senior Guest library card, check the “Senior Guest Library Card” box on the Senior Guest registration form. Your request will be processed by the University Library, and a card will be mailed to your home address within three (3) weeks. Your Senior Guest library card privileges are valid for one year. Senior Guests who register for classes at least yearly will have their privileges renewed by the Library through the Senior Guest program.
Senior Guests are responsible for purchasing their parking permits through Parking Services. Parking in any lots requires a parking permit. Contact Parking Services at 330-672-4432 for parking fees. Parking Services is located in the Schwartz Center, room 123 first floor, 800 E Summit. Office hours are 7:30am – 5:00pm Mon-Fri. If you have a Golden Buckeye card, you may park free for two hours in the Student Center parking lot ONLY.
Senior Guests may ride the Campus Bus free of charge on the campus. There is a nominal charge for use of the off-campus buses.