Dr. Daniel Holm is Professor and Chair of Geology at Kent State University. He has degrees in Geology from the University of Rochester, the University of Minnesota-Duluth, and Harvard University. He teaches courses in Structural Geology and Tectonics and his research focuses on the formation and growth of the North American continent. In addition to North America, he has done field research in New Zealand, central Europe, and northeast Africa. Dr. Holm is a two-time Fulbright Scholar, a recipient of an NSF-CAREER Award, a Geological Society of America Fellow, and past President of the Phi Beta Kappa chapter at KSU. He is the author of over fifty research publications and has been recognized for excellence in teaching.
Research interests include:
- Structural Geology and continental Tectonics
- Proterozoic tectonic evolution of the southern Lake Superior region
- Exhumation of high-pressure rocks in the Sudetes, southern Poland and Czech Republic
- Application of AMS and structural analysis on igneous and high-grade metamorphic rocks (Utah, Montana, and Poland)
- Widanagamage, I.H.W., Holm, D., Dunbar, N., and Heizler, M., 2022, EMPA monazite and Ar/Ar mineral dating of metamorphic rocks along the Highland-Vijayan suture zone, southeastern Sri Lanka: J. of Geology (in review).
- Holm, D., Medaris, L.G., Schneider, D.A., McDannell, K., Schulz, K., Singer, B., and Jicha, B., 2019, Growth, overprinting, and stabilization of Proterozoic Provinces in the southern Lake Superior region: Precambrian Research doi.org/10.1016/j.precamres.2
- Petronis, M., Holm, D., Geissman, J., Hacker, D., and Arnold, B.J., 2014, Paleomagnetic Results from the Eastern Caliente - Enterprise Zone, SW Utah: Implications for Initiation of a Major Miocene Transfer Zone, Geosphere, v. 10, p. 1-30
- Schneider, D.A., Cope, N., and Holm, D., 2014, Thermochronology of the Mont Laurier terrane, southern Canadian Grenville Province, and its bearing on defining orogenic architecture, Precambrian Research, v. 226, p. 43-58
- Maussallam, Y., Schneider, D.A., Janak, M., Thoni, M., and Holm, D.K., 2012, Exhumation of an eclogite-migmatite assemblage: geochronology from the Western Tatra Mountains, northern Slovakia, Lithos, v. 144-145, p. 88-108
- Boerboom, T., Holm, D., et al., 2011, Late Paleoproterozoic deformational, metamorphic, and magmatic history of east-central Minnesota, in Miller, J.D., et. al., eds., Archean to Anthropocene...Geological Society of America Field Guide 24, p
- Majka, J., Czerny, J., Mazur, S., Holm, D.K., and Manecki, M., 2010, Neoproterozoic metamorphic evolution of the Isbjornhamna Group rocks from south-west Svalbard, Polar Research, v. 29, p. 250-264.
- Geissman, J., Holm, D.K., Harlan, S. and Embree, 2010, Rapid, High Temperature Formation of Large-Scale Rheomorphic Structures in the 2.06 Ma Huckleberry Ridge Tuff, Idaho, U.S.A. Geology, v. 38, p. 263-266
- Mazur, S., Czerny, J., Majka, J., Manecki, M., Holm, D., et al., 2009, A strike-slip terrane boundary in Wedel Jarlsberg Land, Svalbard, and its bearing on correlations of SW Spitsbergen ...Timanide belt: : J. Geological Society of London, v. 166, p. 529
- GSA Fellow (elected 2007)
- NSF CAREER Awardee (1995-1999)
- Faculty Fulbright Scholar Awardee (Krakow, Poland; spring 2008
- Phi Beta Kappa (1984)