Structural Geology, Field Geology, Volcanic Stratigraphy
Kent Campus: Wednesday 10:00 am - 12:00 pm; 1:00 - 4:00 pm.
My primary interests are in the overall field of structural geology, with emphasis on field mapping in the western United States. Presently I am working on analyzing structures and volcanism related to the growth of Miocene laccoliths in southwest Utah. I use a variety of field methods, including detailed geologic mapping, to describe local and regional structures and to decipher the evolution of deformational events. A number of mapping projects are conducted in collaboration with government agencies such as the US Geological Survey and the Utah Geological Survey.
Ph.D. Applied Geology, Kent State University, 1998 M.S. Geology, Miami University, 1985 A.B. Geology, Miami University, 1982
- Zamanialavijeh, N., ...Hacker, D.B., et. al., (2021) Kinematics of frictional melts at the base of the world's largest terrestrial landslide: Markagrunt gravity slide, southwest Utah, United States, Journal of Structural Geology
- Biek, R.F., Rowley, P.D., and Hacker, D.B., 2019, The gigantic Markagunt and Sevier gravity slides resulting from mid-Cenozoic catastrophic mega-scale failure of the Marysvale volcanic field, Utah, USA: Geological Society of America Field Guide 56, 108 p.
- Hacker, D.B., Foster, D., and Harris, A.G., (2019), “Geology of National Parks” 7th ed, Kendall Hunt Publishing Co., Dubuque Iowa (College Textbook).
- Rowley, P.D., et al., 2019, Interim geologic map of the southwestern quarter of the Beaver 30' x 60' quadrangle, Beaver, Iron, and Garfield Counties, Utah: Utah Geological Survey, geologic map with text, 1 sheet. OFR-686, scale 1:100,000.
- Hacker, D.B., et.al., (2017), Catastrophic Collapse Features in Volcanic Terrains: Styles and Links to Subvolcanic Magma Systems:..., Physical Geology of Shallow Magmatic Systems: Advances in Volcanology Series. Springer International Publishing, p. 1-34
- Biek, R.F., Hacker, D.B., and Rowley, P.D., 2016, Update on the Markagunt Gravity slide – Utah’s largest landslide just got bigger, a lot bigger: Utah Geological Survey, Survey Notes, v. 48, no. 1, p.5.
- Biek, R.F., Rowley, P.D., Anderson, J.J., Maldonado, F., Moore, D.W., Hacker, D.B., et. al., 2015, Geologic map of the Panguitch 30' x 60' quadrangle, Garfield, Iron, and Kane Counties, Utah:Utah Geological Survey Map 270DM, 162 p., 3
- Biek, R.F., Hacker, D.B., and Rowley, P.D., 2014, New constraints on the extent, age, ... gravity slides, in MacLean, John S., Biek, et. al.,editors, Geology of Utah’s farsouth: Utah Geological Association Publication 43, 44 p.
- Hacker, D.B., Biek, R.F., and Rowley, P.D., 2014, Catastrophic emplacement of the gigantic Miocene Markagunt gravity slide, southwest Utah (USA): Implications for hazards associated with sector collapse of volcanic fields: Geology, 42, no.11 p. 943-946
- Petronis, M.S., Holm, D.K., Geissman J.W., Hacker, D.B., et. al., 2014, Paleomagnetic results from the eastern Caliente - Enterprise Zone, southwestern Utah: Implications for initiation of a major Miocene transfer zone: Geosphere, v.10, p. 534-563
Geological Society of America (GSA) American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) American Geophysical Union (AGU) Structural Geology and Tectonics Division of the Geological Society of America
- Charles J. Mankin Award from the Association of American State Geologists