Dr. Katherine Springer (Kay) Amey
Currently teaching Geography and Geology at Kent State University at Ashtabula. Worked in the Office of Nuclear Waste Isolation at Battelle Institute and Eagon and Associates in Columbus, Ohio; in U.S. Forest Service-Geologic Field Mapping, in Sitka, Alaska; for URS consulting; and 10 years at the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency in the Division of Solid and Hazardous Waste, Drinking Water and Groundwater. Traveled extensively and studied cultures, while living in Singapore for five years. Taught Physical Geography at Cleveland State University, Environmental Law and Environmental Geology at Hiram College and Earth Dynamics Lab and Lecture at Kent State University's Kent Campus as a doctoral student on a National Science Foundation (NSF) Grant in the GK-12 program, with Inquiry-based Approaches to Earth Systems Science.
Scholarly, Creative and Professional Activities
- Amey, Katherine Springer (2015) Hydrology And Groundwater/Surface Water Interactions Of Cold Headwater Streams In Northeast Ohio Supporting Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis), The Ohio Journal Of Science, Volume 115, No. 1.
- Amey, Katherine Springer (2014) Revised Predictive Model For Successful Introduction Of Native Ohio Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) In Select Streams In Geauga And Lake Counties, Ohio, The Ohio Journal Of Science, Volume 114, No. 2.
- Amey, Katherine Springer (2011) Hydrology And Predictive Model Of Headwater Streams And The Groundwater/Surface Water Interactions Supporting Brook Trout Habitat In Northeast Ohio. (Electronic Dissertation https://etd.ohiolink.edu)
- Amey, Katherine Springer, and Paul Anderson (2015) Sensitive and Cold-Water Taxa with Ecological Indicators of Past and Present Headwater Macroinvertebrates Field Evaluation Index (HMFEI) of Eight Streams (submitted Ecological Indicators)
Areas of Research/Study/Academic Interest
- 2018 Remote sensing of Maumee, Ashtabula, Grand and Conneaut River Systems, comparing nutrient input to Lake Erie and resulting harmful algal blooms (HABs), Ohio
- 2017 Research of Deaf education and cultural geography in North America
- 2017 Suzana K. Koch consulting groundwater and lake erosion study: retaining wall assessment and clay sheeting on the bluffs, Conneaut, Ohio
- 2017 Hydrologic study of the flooding of Grand River: submitted to FEMA flood zone study, Ashtabula, Ohio
- 2016 Lack of nutrient overloading in the Grand, Ashtabula and Maumee Rivers in eastern Ohio versus western Ohio shores of Lake Erie in collaboration with Lake Erie College and the Nature Conservancy
- 2015 Hydrologic study of the flooding of Grand River submitted to FEMA Flood Zone Study, Aurora, Ohio
- 2014 Sensitive and cold water taxa in a macroinvertebrate community in northeast Ohio predicting degradation of stream habitat, Ohio EPA
- 2011-2013 GIS (ArcGIS) point staff at Ohio EPA responsible for Implementation of Source Water Assessment and Protection Program (SWAP): Assess the susceptibility of groundwater and surface water and contamination sources as threats to public drinking water, Ohio EPA
- 2011-2013 Hydrogeology, rate and extent of contamination assessment at several landfills in northeast Ohio, Ohio EPA
- 2013 Mentor Marsh and the impact of a salt/lime/fly ash landfill on surrounding wetlands, Ohio EPA
- 2012 Statistical and Hydrologic assessment of several solid waste, construction and demolition debris landfills in Ohio, Ohio EPA
- 2011-2012 Hydrology and hydrogeology of a storm water retention pond and the effects on a nursery, Madison, Ohio, Ohio EPA
- 2011-2012 Ambient water quality of urban/suburban/rural public water supplies in northeast Ohio, Ohio EPA
- 2009-2011 Dissertation: Hydrology and Predictive Model of Headwater Streams and the Groundwater/Surface Water Interactions Supporting Brook Trout Habitat In Northeast Ohio
- Individual Investigations in Geography/Doctoral Research
- Environmental Geology-Environmental Earth Science
- Introduction to Geography
- Physical Geography Lecture
- Physical Geography Laboratory
- Geography of Wine
- Human Geography
- World Geography
- Earth Dynamics-How the Earth Works Lecture
- Earth Dynamics-How the Earth Works Laboratory
- Earth and Life Through Time
- Earth and Life Through Time Laboratory
- Kent State University Earth Dynamics Lecture
- Earth Dynamics Laboratory
- Geologist: Division of Drinking and Ground Waters, Ohio Environmental Protection Agency: Applied Geographical Information System (GIS) for (SWAP) for public drinking water supplies. Researched both hydrogeology and hydrology conditions in northeast Ohio.
- Senior Geologist: URS Consultants, Cleveland, Ohio: Air Force Base RI/FS and NASA closures.
- Hydrogeologist: MASI Labs, Northeast Ohio: Water quality testing Public Water Supplies (PWS).
- Environmental Specialist: Division of Drinking and Ground Waters, Ohio EPA: Oversee community, non-transient, and transient public drinking water supplies in Geauga and Medina Counties. Investigate safety of drinking water supplies and assure safety.
- Environmental Engineer: Division of Hazardous Waste Management, Ohio EPA: Inspector for compliance with state and federal regulations, contamination research projects for a safe environment.
- Hydrogeologist: Eagon & Associates, Columbus, Ohio: Exploration and water resource testing and pump tests for community water supplies.
- Geologist: Battelle Columbus Division, Columbus, Ohio: Developed solutions to groundwater contamination problems, conducted environmental testing and sampling, field team leader.
- Geologist: Department of Engineering, U.S. Forest Service, Sitka, Alaska: Investigated pristine wilderness areas. Mapped rock quarries, field tests engineering properties rock type suitability road building.
- Geologic Intern: Office of Nuclear Waste Isolation, Battelle Columbus, Ohio Worked on major research project. Studied areas for possible burial of nuclear waste.
- Review of submissions for the 128th Ohio Academy of Science (OAS) Annual Meeting hosted by Columbus State Community College on April 13, 2019.
- Review of submissions for the 127th Ohio OAS Annual Meeting Bowling Green State University; April 14, 2018.
- Review of Interactive Physical Geography, REVEL, Pearson Publishing, prospectus/ table of contents and content from the chapter on Glacial Systems; April 2017.
- Review of Pearson Physical Environmental, Fall 2016.
- Peer Review of Ohio Journal of Science Scientific Abstracts for April 16, 2016.
- Review of Lecture Tutorials Sedimentology and Stratigraphy University of Nebraska for student held misconceptions January 2016.
- Peer Review of Ohio Journal of Science journal articles: #4909 Review August 2015.
- Textbook Reviewed: Nance, Damian and Murphy, Brendan, Physical Geology Today -Oxford Press, published 2015.
- 2018 Career Day for Jefferson Schools Fifth Grade at KSU Ashtabula
- 2018 Presentation: International Geographical Union Conference (IGU) Quebec, Canada; The Oppression of Deaf Culture and Education in our North American Contemporary World. Steering Committee of the Cultural Approach in Geography at IGU.
- 2018 Presentation Paul Pira, Geauga Park District Ohio brook trout research update at the OBS-Ohio Natural History Conference at The Cleveland Museum of Natural History.
- 2017 TEDx: The Chasm Facing Deaf U.S. American Education and Culture, Littleton, North Carolina. https://proxy.qualtrics.com/
proxy/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww. youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv% 3DvPIWcIqYMDg&token= GSX7xFPS4Ua6MgQhP% 2FeCl4ie5JTrX%2B2dpuSCpDCNZ% 2Fw%3D
- 2016 Presentation: Sensitive and Cold-Water Taxa with Ecological Indicators of Past and Present Headwater Macroinvertebrates Field Evaluation Index (HMFEI) of Eight Streams at Ohio University, Athens, Ohio.
- 2016 Presentation: KSU at Ashtabula student academic and President’s and Dean’s List Reception: Awards Ceremony guest speaker.
- 2015 Science Olympiad Workshop for students for earth science: Geologic Mapping.
- 2015 Presentation: Hydrology and Ground Water/ Surface Water Interactions of Cold Headwater Streams in Northeast Ohio Supporting Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) Capital University.
- 2014 Science Olympiad Workshop Geologic Mapping earth science middle and high school students.
- 2014 Superior Intermediate School: Career Day Geologist.
- 2013 Superior Intermediate School: Classroom Rocks and Minerals Day.
- 2013 Science Olympiad Workshop Rocks and Minerals for earth science middle/high school students.
- 2013 Workshop Source Water Assessment and Protection Program assists communities with protecting their surface water sources of drinking water (streams and lakes) from contamination.
- 2013 Workshop and Presentation Wineries and Environmental Compliance : Workshops in Vermillion and Millersburg
- 2013 Source Water Assessment and Protection Program Harmful Algal Bloom Potential, Source Water Protection in Painesville, Ohio and the City of Ravenna
- 2013 Source Water Assessment and Protection Program for Public Drinking Groundwater Systems
- 2013 Protect Your Drinking Water Source from Contamination Akron Rotary
- 2013 Wineries and Environmental Compliance Seminar
- 2011 Ohio Environmental Protection Agency: Division of Surface Water, “Hydrology of Eight Streams in Northwest Geauga and Southeast Lake Counties”.
- 2006-2008 GK-12 Fellow: NSF Fellow developed earth science lectures for summer workshops and assisted in field courses for Stark County teachers in Lake Erie, USA and Iceland.
- 2006-2008 Assisted teachers in Stark County Schools (GK-12) with Inquiry Method Earth Science.
- 1998 Cleveland State University, “Contamination of Drinking Water Supplies in a Suburban Setting” .
- 1991-1992 Geauga County, “Public Drinking Water Contamination Bainbridge and Chesterland Township” public meetings, workshops and presentations. and “Contamination of Public Drinking Water in an Amish Community”.
- 2018-present Student Life Coordinator responsible for all clubs and organizations KSU Ashtabula
- 2017-present Undergraduate Student Government faculty member KSU Ashtabula
- 2014-present United Way Campaign Fundraising Committee KSU Ashtabula
- 2013-present Geography Department, Student Complaint Committee KSU
- 2018-present University research project: Work with Amy Thomas to highlight faculty research KSU Ashtabula
- 2018 Heart Walk Association Volunteer KSU Ashtabula
- 2018 Grad Fair: Mentor undergrads applying for graduate school KSU Ashtabula
- 2016-2018 Student Rights & Standards Committee reporting to Vice President and Dean for Enrollment Management & Student Affairs, Shay Little KSU
- 2017-2018 FTNTT Union Grievance Committee KSU
- 2017 FTNTT MATH faculty search committee KSU Ashtabula
- 2015-2017 The Association for University Regional Campuses of Ohio (AURCO) KSU Ashtabula
- 2015-2017 University Diversity Advisory Committee (UDAC) KSU
- 2016 Regional Grant Opportunity Committee for available for research opportunities KSU
- 2015 Student Appreciation Breakfast KSU Ashtabula
- 2014-2015 Ohio Wine Competition Geography of Wine faculty KSU Ashtabula
- 2014 13 Indigenous Grandmother’s Committee KSU
- 2013 Panel on Non-Academic Careers for Graduate Students KSU Geography Department
- 2018 Awarded a grant from American Association of Geographers (AAG) and National Science Foundation (NSF) for Senior Scholar IGU Conference Quebec, Canada
- 2018 Interviewed for a feature in the Kent State Magazine on Deaf Education (Fall issue)
- 2017 NSF grant research to form field station with Lake Erie College
- 2016 Awarded Nature Conservancy Grant to form a geo field station at the Grand River Conservation Campus
- 2015 Nominated for KSU Diversity Trailblazer Award
- 2014 Awarded Cover of The Ohio Journal of Science, Volume 114, No. 2
- 2009 AMOCO: Awarded academic research scholarship from KSU
- 2009 Geauga Park District: Awarded research grant to complete research (self-initiated funding)
- 2005-2008 NSF Graduate Fellow, Grant, KSU GK-12
- 2007 Katherine Moulton Scholarship: Awarded Excellence in Research
- Environmental Science Design Research Initiative (ESDRI): Faculty member KSU.
- International Geophysical Union (IGU): Steering committee of the IGU Commission Cultural Approach
- American Association of Geographers (AAG) and Canadian Association of Geographers (CAG)
- Grand, Ashtabula and Conneaut (GAC) River Partnership: Academic Member, Ashtabula Ohio.
- Grand River Conservation Campus in Ashtabula County Supporting The Environmental Education Center.
- The Ohio Academy of Science (OAS): Journal review scientist.
- Brook Trout Advisory Committee: Formed by the Geauga Park District including members of Ohio EPA-DSW, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources-Fish and Wildlife, and Trout Unlimited.
- Water Resources Research Institute (WRRI): The WRRI facilitates and coordinates collaborative research in aquatic sciences across departmental boundaries of KSU. The institute fosters a broad based approach to evaluation and analysis of environmental problems related to water use.
- Amey, Katherine Springer (2018) Remote Sensing of Maumee, Ashtabula, Grand and Conneaut River Systems, and Nutrient Input Lake Erie and Resulting HABs (In prep).
- Amey, Katherine Springer, and Jacqueline Gee (2018) The Fractured Deaf Culture Hearth: The North American Geographical Oppression of the Deaf, GeoHumanities, In Review.
- Amey, Katherine Springer, and Jacqueline Gee (2018) The Oppression of Deaf Culture and Education in our North American Contemporary World Proceedings from the International Geographical Union
- Amey, Katherine Springer, and Paul Anderson (2016) Sensitive and Cold-Water Taxa with Ecological Indicators of Past and Present Headwater Macroinvertebrates Field Evaluation Index (HMFEI) of Eight Streams, The Ohio Journal of Science, Volume 116, No. 1.
- Amey, Katherine Springer (2015) Hydrology And Groundwater/Surface Water Interactions of Cold Headwater Streams In Northeast Ohio Supporting Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis), The Ohio Journal Of Science, Volume 115, No. 1. p. A-7.
- Amey, Katherine Springer (2014) Revised Predictive Model For Successful Introduction of Native Ohio Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) In Select Streams In Geauga And Lake Counties, Ohio, The Ohio Journal Of Science, Volume 114, No. 2.
- Amey, Katherine Springer (2014) Recommendations for Supporting Brook Trout Habitat in the Geauga Park District Report.
- Amey, Katherine Springer (2011) Hydrology And Predictive Model of Headwater Streams And The Groundwater/Surface Water Interactions Supporting Brook Trout Habitat In Northeast Ohio. Dissertation
- Amey, Katherine Springer, Smith, A., Ostracodes in Primary Headwater Streams, Springs, and Hyporheic Zones Reflecting Surface Water Conditions (in prep).