Careers in Health Informatics
The resources listed below offer career guidance as well as job postings for qualified individuals seeking a career in health informatics (HI).
The School's HI listserv is also a good source of job information. Prospective employers often send us postings to share with our students. If you are not on the listserv but would like to be, email email@example.com.
- American Health Information Management Association 2010 Salary Survey
- American Health Information Management Association Interactive Career Map
- American Medical Informatics Association Career Center
- HIMSS Health IT Career Services Pages
- Health Information and Management Systems Society 2013 Compensation Survey
Career Services at Kent State University
Career Exploration and Development at Kent State University offers numerous resources on its website, including tips for writing resumes and cover letters, networking, interviewing, conducting your job search and more.
Getting involved with a professional association is one of the best ways to enhance what you're learning in your classes, most of them have special rates for students or recent graduates. They offer specialized training, conferences, networking opportunities, job listings and more. Some of the groups below are national; others are based in Ohio. Students who are not in Ohio or who are looking to move to another area of the country are encouraged to seek out the relevant organizations for that region.
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- Northern Ohio Chapter of HIMSS (NOHIMSS)
- Central and Southern Ohio Chapter of HIMSS (CSOHIMSS)
- Ohio Health Information Management Association (OHIMA)