JMC Takes Seven First-Place Regional Honors at SPJ
Kent State University earned 14 Mark of Excellence awards at the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Region 4 spring conference, including first place regional honors for The Burr (best student magazine) and KentWired (best affiliated website).
SPJ’s Region 4 comprises colleges and universities in Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia and western Pennsylvania.
SPJ awarded a winner and two finalists in 36 categories. (Some categories awarded winners and finalists separately for small and large institutions. JMC students placed in the large institution category.)
First-place winners will move on to the national Mark of Excellence competition among category winners from the 12 SPJ regions. National winners will be announced in late spring and recognized at Excellence in Journalism in Anaheim, California.
Kent State students and student media placed in the following categories:
- General News Photography (Large): Clint Datchuk, '17 (Day 4 of Cleveland RNC, pictured above)
- Photo Illustration (Large): Amani Williams, '16 (Black Hair Magic)
- Sports Photography (Large): Clint Datchuk, '16 (Mbball vs. BG)
- Best Student Magazine: The Burr
- Non-Fiction Magazine Article: Jamie Brian, '17 (Gaining Perspective)
- Breaking News Reporting: Staff (Keterson Lawsuit)
- Best Affiliated Web Site: KentWired
- Feature Photography (Large): Aaron Self, '17 (Costa Rica Trip)
- Feature Photography (Large): Clint Datchuk, '17 (Eating Disorders)
- Sports Photography (Large): Clint Datchuk, '17 (Wrestling)
- Best Student Magazine: Fusion Magazine
- Non-Fiction Magazine Article: Samantha Ickes, '17 (Flowers vs. Guns)
- Best All Around Non Daily Student Newspaper: The Kent Stater
- Online Opinion and Commentary: Staff (Our View: Opinions of The Kent Stater's Editorial Board)