Joseph D. Ortiz
Marine Sedimentology, Marine Stratigraphy, Paleoclimate
Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 10:00 - 11:30 am; Wednesday 2:15 - 5:00 pm; or by appointment
With training in Aquatic Biology and Oceanography, I work at the interface between sciences unraveling climate mysteries, exploring the relationship between sedimentary strata, and helping to improve water quality using electromagnetic sensing techniques.
My primary research interest is in the area of paleoclimate. I study sedimentary records to extract climate-related information on seasonal to glacial-interglacial time scales. I employ diverse methods ranging from marine micropaleontology to light isotope geochemistry and core and well logging to decipher Earth's climate record.
- Lewis, A.R., Simone, D., Williams, J., Erin, M.I., and Ortiz, J.D., Using visible derivative spectroscopy to assess flaked projectile point provenance: application and preliminary analysis of the Welling Site, Ohio, U.S.A., Archeometry, in press.
- Olaoye, I.A.; Confesor, R.B., Jr.; Ortiz, J.D. Impact of Agricultural Practices onWater Quality of Old Woman Creek Watershed, Ohio. Agriculture 2021, 11, 426
- Olaoye, I.A., Confesor, R.B., Jr., Ortiz, J.D. Effect of Projected Land Use and Climate Change on Water Quality of Old Woman Creek Watershed, Ohio. Hydrology, 2021, 8, 62
- Olaoye, I.A., Confesor, R.B., Jr., Ortiz, J.D. Impact of Seasonal Variation in Climate on Water Quality of Old Woman Creek Watershed Ohio Using SWAT. Climate, 2021, 9, 50
- Cawse-Nicholson...Ortiz, J.D., et al, the SBG Algorithms Working Group NASA’s surface biology and geology designated observable: A perspective on surface imaging algorithms, Remote Sensing of Environment 257 (2021) 112349
- Maselli, V.,... and Ortiz, J.D., A 1,000-year-old tsunami in the Indian Ocean points to greater risk for East Africa: REPLY,GEOLOGY, 49, 2021. e516-e516
- Judice, T., Widder, E.A., Falls, W.H., Avouris, D.M., Cristiano, D.J., & Ortiz, J.D. Field-validated detection of Aureoumbra lagunensis brown tide blooms in the Indian River Lagoon...GeoHealth, accepted pending revision, 2020
- Maselli, V., Oppo, D., Moore, A.L, Gusman, A.R., Mtelela, C., Iacopini, D., Taviani, M., Mjema, E., Mulaya, E. Che, M.m Tomioka, A.L., Mshiu, E., and Ortiz, J.D., A 1,000-year-old tsunami in the Indian Ocean points to greater risk for East Africa, GEOLOGY
- Ortiz, J.D., Palaeoclimate: ancient ice sheet collapse, Nature Geoscience, in press, 2020
- Akins, L., Ortiz, J.D., Leff, L.G., (2019) Strain-specific responses of toxic and non-toxic Microcystis aeruginosa to exudates of heterotrophic bacteria, Hydrobiologica, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-019-04073-4
American Geophysical Union (AGU) Oceanography Society (TOS) Geological Society of America (GSA) Sigma Xi (Scientific research honor society) American Quaternary Association (AMQUA) National Association of Geoscience Teachers (NAGT) Northern Ohio Geological Society (NOGS)
GEOLOGY PROFESSOR AND SCIENCE HISTORIAN CO-AUTHOR ARTICLE EXPLORING EUNICE FOOTE’S CLIMATE EXPERIMENTS FROM 1856, Climate Change Threatens Drinking Water Quality Across the Great Lakes, https://www.kent.edu/cas/news/new-methodologies-developed-ortiz%E2%80%99-lab-improve-monitoring-lakes-and-oceans, Sinclair drones soar over Erie to spot dangerous algae, Kent State Professor Collaborates With NASA Glenn and University Researchers to Study, Improve Lake Erie’s Water Quality, We're Killing Our Lakes and Oceans. The Consequences Are Real.,