WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT COURSES & TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
The College frequently offers continuing education and training for public health professionals through the Office of Public Health Practice and Partnerships. Individuals interested in learning more about continuing education should contact (330) 672-6500.
- Biosafety & Biocontainment Training for BSL-3 Workers - This training has been approved by the National Institutes of Health. Participants are trained to handle BSL-3 biohazards in a controlled BSL-3 laboratory. Non-virulent agents are used to simulate proper handling, protection, testing, and disposal procedures. The cost for the week-long training is $1,200 ($400 if from a state or local health department).
Ongoing Schedule - the below course is offered on a continuous basis with no registration deadlines:
- Registered Sanitarian Board Exam Prep Course - The course is 100% online and includes 17 hours of lectures, online resources, and hundreds of sample exam questions covering all of the topical areas in the actual Ohio RS exam. The instructor for the course is Chuck Hart, PhD, CIH, CSP, RS, Associate Professor of Environmental Health Sciences in the Kent State Univ. College of Public Health. The cost for the course is $195 and provides students 24-hour access for up to 180 days. Click here to register for the course, then Search for RS Exam. The course is available on a continuous basis with no registration deadlines.
Quarterly Schedule - each course begins July 1, October 1, January 1, and April 1 each year:
- Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) Basics - The course covers the steps local health departments (LHDs) are required to take to prepared for and meet the PHAB accreditation standards. It is intended for PHAB coordinators and other LHD staff involved in the accreditation process. Besides explaining the prerequisites and accreditation requirements the course provides access to other PHAB resources. The cost for the course is $120.
Courses to be offered again Soon - please check back:
- OSHA 30-hour General Industry Outreach Training
- OSHA 10-hour General Industry Outreach Training
- Grantwriting for Public Health Professionals - The course provides in-depth instruction on the "how-to's" of identifying grant opportunities and preparing grant applications including those from private foundations and government funders. The cost for the course is $120.
- Conducting Community Health Needs Assessments (CHNAs) - The course is provides an overview of methods used to conduct community health needs assessments. It is intended for local health department and hospital staff that are charged with meeting the PHAB prerequisites or the new IRS requirement regarding CHNAs. The steps and techniques involved in CHNAs are covered in detail with real-world examples and links to a variety of helpful resources. The cost for the course is $120.
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) - The course is provides an overview of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. It is intended for local health department and hospital staff that are charged with meeting the ACA requirements. The major activities required of the health sector under the ACA are overviewed with real-world examples and links to a variety of helpful resources. The cost for the course is $120 and registration.
For more information regarding any of the College's training and continuing education offerings call the Office of Public Health Practice and Partnerships at 330-672-6500.