Dr. Deric Kenne Publications and Grant Awards:
- Kenne, D.R., Fischbein, R.L., DeLuca, T., *Bryant, J., Laurene, K., Mulvany, J., Leahy, P., & Banks, D. (in press). Economic Disparities: SPARK Ohio and Narrowing the Kindergarten Readiness Gap. Submitted to Child Development Research. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/cdr/2018/4383792/
- $306,000 grant, 3 year project. Funder - Department of Health and Human Services – SAMHSA Project Title: More Aware Initiative (GLS Campus Suicide Prevention) Project Description - Build essential capacity and infrastructure to support expanded efforts to promote wellness and help-seeking of students. The project will offer outreach to vulnerable students, including those experiencing substance abuse and mental health problems who are at greater risk for suicide and suicide attempts.
Dr. Tara Smith Publications, Presentations, and Appointments:
- Smith TC, Thapaliya D, Bhatta S, Mackey S, Engohang-Ndong J, Carrel M. Geographic distribution of livestock-associated Staphylococcus aureus in the United States. Microbes and Infection, in press, 2018.
- Hanson BM, Kates AE, O’Malley SM, Mills E, Herwaldt LA, Farina SA, Klostermann C, Wu JY, Quick MK, Forshey BM, Smith TC. Prevalence and characterization of Staphylococcus aureus in the nares and oropharynx of healthy individuals from 95 families in Iowa, USA. Epidemiology and Infection, in press, 2018.
- Thapaliya D, Kadariya J, Capuano M, Rush H, Yee C, Oet M*, Lohani S, Smith TC. Prevalence and Molecular Characterization of S. aureus and MRSA on Children's Playgrounds. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, in press, 2018.
- Kates AE, Thapaliya D, Smith TC, Chorazy M. Prevalence and molecular characterization of Staphylococcus aureus from human stool samples. Antimicrobial Resistance & Infection Control. 20187:42, 2018.
- Smith TC, Hellwig EJ, Wardyn SE, Kates AE, Thapaliya D. Longitudinal Case Series of Staphylococcus aureus Colonization and Infection in Two Cohorts of Rural Iowans. Microbial Drug Resistance, in press, 2018
- Vaccine hesitancy and denial: what can you do? 24th Annual Pennsylvania Immunization Conference, Harrisburg, PA. August 2018.
- Animal pathways of antimicrobial resistance. New York Academy of Science meeting on the Use of Antibiotics in Animal Food Production. New York, New York. May 2018.
- Pigs, pork and pathogens: Tracking Livestock-Associated Staphylococcus aureus in the United States. Ohio State Infectious Disease Institute Seminar Series. Columbus, OH. April 2018.
- Vaccine denial and the internet: what can microbiologists do? Keynote talk. Ohio Branch of the American Society for Microbiology Annual Meeting, Athens, OH. March 2018.
- Pigs, pork and pathogens: working with Staphylococcus aureus in the clinic & beyond. Seminar, Akron Children’s Hospital Rebecca Considine Research Institute. March 2018.
- A history of zombie epidemics: implications for epidemics today. Midwest Veterinary Conference. Columbus, OH. February 2018.
- Vaccine hesitancy and denial: what can you do? Midwest Veterinary Conference. Columbus, OH. February 2018.
- Zoonotic antibiotic resistance: whose responsibility? Midwest Veterinary Conference. Columbus, OH. February 2018.
- Pigs, pork, and pathogens: MRSA outside the clinic. Midwest Veterinary Conference. Columbus, OH. February 2018.
- Dr. Smith was elected as an American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Council on Microbial Sciences Division Interdisciplinary Councilor and was appointed to the ASM Communications Committee.
- Dr. Smith received a joint appointment with Akron Children’s Hospital where she’ll be serving as Senior Research Scientist.
Dr. Maggie Stedman Smith Certification:
- Dr. Stedman Smith became a nationally recognized certified Quality Matters Peer Reviewer and conducted her first official course review for the University of Alabama at Birmingham for a graduate level Fundamentals of Environment Health Science course.
Dr. Sheryl Chatfield Grant Awards and Publications:
- Dr. Chatfield received an American Public Health Association new investigator grant to conduct research using the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Violent Death Reporting System (NVDRS) during summer of 2018. Dr. Chatfield worked with doctoral student Jared Durieux to investigate trends in intimate partner violence among adults aged 65 and older, using a mixed methods approach to data analysis. The resulting research report is currently being prepared for publication.
- Kent State University faculty Dr. Mary Ann Devine, Professor in the Department of Foundations, Leadership, and Administration, in collaboration with Drs. Gokarna Sharma and Jong-Hoon Kim, from the Department of Computer Science, and Dr. Sheryl Chatfield received a grant from the Kent State University Healthy Communities Research Initiative to conduct preliminary research on the use of virtual reality technology to assess barriers and facilitators impacting participation in physical activity among individuals with intellectual and physical disabilities. Results from the preliminary study will be used to help secure federal and foundation funding to continue this innovative interdisciplinary research.
- Chatfield, S.L. (2018) Considerations in qualitative research reporting: A guide for authors preparing articles for Sex Roles. Sex Roles, 79, 125-135.
Dr. Tom Brewer Publications:
- Brewer, T.W. (2018) Regulatory Implications of the Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement Demonstration Project. Journal of Health Law and Policy. 11(2), 249-274.
Ms. Cindy Widuck, MPH Grant Awards and Projects:
- Ms. Widuck received a grant of $3000 from the City of Kent to establish a community garden Walls Elementary School.
- Ms. Widuck launched TouchPointe, a program at AxessPointe in Kent. Her service learning undergraduate students and MPH student, Molly Beutel, are working on a feasibility study of the program developed by my undergraduate students. At the end of this project AxessPointe would like to expand the program to their other locations in Ohio.
Dr. Mary Step Publications:
- Step, MM, Ferber, GA, Downs-Holmes, C & Silverman, P. Feasibility of a team-based prognosis and treatment goal discussion (T- PAT) with women diagnosed with advanced breast cancer (2018) In Patient Education & Counseling (DOI: 10.1016/j.pec.2018.08.016).
Dr. Tina Bhargava Activities:
- Dr. Bhargava conducted a workshop at the Kent State Center for Teaching and Learning’s annual conference entitled: What Really Matters? Aligning Bandwidth Demands with Learning Objectives.
Dr. Bethany Lanese Publications:
- Lanese, BG, Fischbein, R, Furda, “Public Program Enrollment Following US State Medicaid Expansion and Outreach”, American Journal of Public Health 108, no. 10 (October 1, 2018): pp. 1349-1351.
Dr. Madhav Bhatta Publications:
- Shakya S. White C, and Bhatta MP. Incidence of Elevated Blood Lead Levels among Refugee Children Post-resettlement in Northeast Ohio, 2009-2015. North American Refugee Health Conference. June 7-9, 2018; Portland, Oregon. (http://nasrhp.org/north-american-refugee-health-conference-3)
- Bhatta MP, Brown M. Characteristics of Parents Indicating Special Health Care Needs Female Adolescent as the Reason for Non-intent to Vaccinate Against Human Papillomavirus: The National Immunization Survey-Teen, 2008-2016. International Papillomavirus Conference. October 2-6, 2018; Sydney, Australia. (https://ipvc2018.org/)
- Bhatta MP, Bista S, El Khoury AC, Hutzell EG, Tandon N, Smith D, MD. Encounters with the criminal justice system in patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorders treated with long acting therapy at a community mental health service facility. Psych Congress. October 25-28, 2018; Orlando, FL. (https://www.psychcongress.com/psychcongress/)
- Krystosik AR, Andrew C, LaBeaud AD, Dávalos D, Pacheco R, Buritica P, Alvarez AA, Bhatta MP, Rojas Palacios JH, and James, MA. Neighborhood Violence Impacts Disease Control and Surveillance: Comparing Surveillance of Arboviral Outbreaks in Cali, Colombia from 2014-2016. American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene Annual Meeting; October 28 - November 1, 2018; New Orleans, LA. (http://www.astmh.org/annual-meeting)