Nine Required Elements
Nine Required Elements for Your Social Media Account
HANDLE OR URL
- Do not create a duplicate listing. Search the platform in which you are interested and evaluate those results. This should help guide you to choose an appropriate naming convention. The name should be clearly linked to your particular department or unit rather than to the institution as a whole.
- Choose higher education, college/university or institution, based on those offered by the respective platform.
- Feel free to post on the wall or in this space. Note: The views and opinions posted by visitors to this website do not reflect the view or opinions of Kent State University. Comments posted to social media accounts may be monitored and we reserve the right to review comments that are deemed to be profanity or spam, or are found to be in violation of a law or court order. Trolling or threats toward others may result in being removed or blocked from participating in this social media space.
- Adhere to Kent State’s Guide to Visual Standards.
- The profile image should be clearly linked to your particular department rather than the institution as a whole. Consider use of an image used in your marketing materials.
- If you need assistance or ideas, contact Nicole Carlone.
BIOGRAPHICAL OR EXTENDED INFORMATION
- Make it clear in the appropriate location, based on the platform, that the respective social media account is the “official [your department]” social media account.
- In addition to information about your department, include a link to the institutional website and the social media directory. Text could read: For more information about Kent State University, visit www.kent.edu; for a full listing of Kent State social media accounts, visit http://social.kent.edu.
- Include at least one employee within your department.
- The appropriate University Communications and Marketing account should be an administrator. See subsequent sections of this documentation for correct account information, based on platform.
DEVELOP CONTENT PLAN
- Include frequency of posts.
- Outline type of content to be posted.
DETERMINE KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Consider whether to monitor followers, fans, visits to your social media space, tone of posts, response of and interactivity among members of your community.
CONTACT UNIVERSITY COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING TO:
- Request account review and addition to social.kent.edu.
- Contact Nicole Carlone for inclusion in the social.kent.edu directory. When doing so, email your social media venue(s), respective url(s) and handle(s).
- Provide the name and title of the identified social media account administrator from your department.