The Writing Commons physical locations are closed due to COVID-19.
Tutors are working virtually.
FALL 2020 HOURS (ONLINE ONLY)- 7 DAYS A WEEK. September 14 - December 11, 2020
Monday - Friday, 10 AM - 10 PM
Saturday , 12 PM - 5 PM
Sunday, 3 PM - 10 PM
Click on "Schedule an Appointment" to schedule your session today!
- Choose "Live Video Chat" session for a video conference session with a tutor, using your Kent State University Google Meet application.
- Choose a "Live-Text Chat" session to chat with your tutor using your Kent State University Google Hangouts chat tool.
- Or send your work to the Online Writing Lab (OWL) for email-based feedback from your tutor.
All student writers can benefit from the feedback and support the Writing Commons provides. Visit us to see how we can help you!
Writing Commons Mission Statement
- As the university writing center, the Writing Commons supports Kent State University students at all levels and in every academic discipline with any projects that include writing.
- We assist writers at every stage of the composing and revising process.
- We help writers at every level of proficiency to experience the satisfaction of developing effective written communication.
Download a printable PDF version of the Writing Commons Brochure, detailing basic information about the writing center and our offered services. Please consider making a donation to the John Tamplin Fund to support the Writing Commons staff professional development!
"Maybe in a perfect world, all writers would have their own ready auditor... who would not only listen but draw them out, ask them questions they would not think to ask themselves. A writing center is an institutional response to this need."
- Stephen M. North
"The Idea of a Writing Center." College English 46.5 (1984): 433-46.
Fall 2020 Hours (ONLINE ONLY)
(September 14, 2020 - December 11, 2020)
Monday: 10 AM - 10 PM
Tuesday: 10 AM - 10 PM
Wednesday: 10 AM - 10 PM
Thursday: 10 AM - 10 PM
Friday: 10 AM - 10 PM
Saturday: 12 PM - 5 PM
Sunday: 3 PM - 10 PM
Please note: When classes are not in session, the Writing Commons is closed. When weather or other emergencies cause the Kent campus to delay or cancel classes on the Kent campus, the Writing Commons closes.
The Writing Commons is located on the 4th floor of the University Library, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio campus. Simply take a left out of the stairwell or two lefts off the elevator to find us.