Writing Commons Mission Statement
- As the university writing center, the Writing Commons supports Kent State University students at all levels and in every academic discipline with any projects that include writing.
- We assist writers at every stage of the composing and revising process with support, feedback, and resources.
- We help writers at every level of proficiency to experience the satisfaction of developing effective written communication.
Download a printable PDF version of the Writing Commons Brochure, detailing basic information about the writing center and our offered services. Please consider making a donation to the John Tamplin Fund to support the Writing Commons staff professional development!
Our Promise to You
We recognize that writing development takes time and a lot of hard work. We promise you that if you work with us regularly and make a commitment to improving, you will become a more productive and successful writer!
We are Here to Help
Your writing consultant will focus on helping you develop processes and strategies that will transfer to other writing you will do in your future, not just to the project you bring in. Rather than tell you one right way to write your project, your writing consultant will help you understand what writing assignments are asking you to do, as well as how to choose and apply strategies to accomplish your goals in a piece of writing. Your writing consultant will help you learn to research, draft, develop, and organize your writing. Your writing consultant will show you how to use reader feedback to revise; and how to use resources to edit, proofread, and format your work in a way that is appropriate for your reading audience.
The Writing Commons, which is the university writing center, is located in the fourth floor of the University Library. We provide in-person 1-on-1 writing consultanting sessions, which can last up to 45 minutes, online consulting sessions, as well as a variety of other consulting and workshop offerings. You can Schedule an Appointment online or call us at 330-672-1787. You may schedule appointments throughout the semester, but are limited to one session per day.
The Writing Commons supports all KSU students at all levels and in every academic discipline with any projects that include writing. We assist writers at every stage of the composing and revising process. We help writers at every level of proficiency to experience the satisfaction of developing effective written communication. All student writers can benefit from the feedback and support the Writing Commons provides.
During your session, you and your writing consultant will work together to accomplish the goals you set at the start of the session itself. Typically, sessions involve you reading your piece of writing aloud while a writing consultant helps you identify some areas in your writing for revision. Sessions can also be spent brainstorming, learning how to edit, or accomplishing other writing and revising tasks. We can address any writing-related concerns you may have during your session. At your request, a written description of the session(s) can be sent to your instructor, your advisor, or anyone else you designate.
To help your writing consultant help you, bring a description of the assignment and anything you have written for that assignment. You do not have to bring a full draft to the session. In fact, some of the most helpful sessions occur when the writing consultant helps you to brainstorm to get started on writing!
Papers cannot be edited by the Writing Commons. Peer writing consultants do not discuss grades or “do the writing” for the student.
Click on "Schedule an Appointment" to schedule your session today!
- Choose "In Person Appointment" session for a face to face session with a writing consultant at our location on the 4th floor of the library.
- Choose "Live Video Chat" session for a video conference session with a writing consultant, using your Kent State University Google Meet application.
- Choose a "Live-Text Chat" session to chat with your writing consultant using your Kent State University Google Hangouts chat tool.
- Or send your work to the Writing Commons for Email Feedback from your writing consultant.
Need help scheduling? Click here!
All student writers can benefit from the feedback and support the Writing Commons provides. Visit us to see how we can help you!
The Writing Commons
418-H University Library