The Writing Commons physical locations are closed due to COVID-19.
Tutors are working virtually.
FALL 2020 HOURS (ONLINE ONLY)- 7 DAYS A WEEK. September 14 - December 11, 2020
Monday - Friday, 10 AM - 10 PM
Saturday , 12 PM - 5 PM
Sunday, 3 PM - 10 PM
Click on "Schedule an Appointment" to schedule your session today!
- Choose "Live Video Chat" session for a video conference session with a tutor, using your Kent State University Google Meet application.
- Choose a "Live-Text Chat" session to chat with your tutor using your Kent State University Google Hangouts chat tool.
- Or send your work to the Online Writing Lab (OWL) for email-based feedback from your tutor.
All student writers can benefit from the feedback and support the Writing Commons provides. Visit us to see how we can help you!
The Writing Commons
418-H University Library
Writing Commons Mission Statement
- As the university writing center, the Writing Commons supports Kent State University students at all levels and in every academic discipline with any projects that include writing.
- We assist writers at every stage of the composing and revising process.
- We help writers at every level of proficiency to experience the satisfaction of developing effective written communication.
Download a printable PDF version of the Writing Commons Brochure, detailing basic information about the writing center and our offered services. Please consider making a donation to the John Tamplin Fund to support the Writing Commons staff professional development!
The Writing Commons, which is the university writing center, is located in the fourth floor of the University Library. We provide in-person 1-on-1 tutoring sessions, which can last up to 45 minutes, online tutoring sessions, as well as a variety of other tutoring and workshop offerings. You can Schedule an Appointment online or call us at 330-672-1787. You may schedule appointments throughout the semester, but are limited to one session per day.
The Writing Commons supports all KSU students at all levels and in every academic discipline with any projects that include writing. We assist writers at every stage of the composing and revising process. We help writers at every level of proficiency to experience the satisfaction of developing effective written communication. All student writers can benefit from the feedback and support the Writing Commons provides.
During your session, you and your tutor will work together to accomplish the goals you set at the start of the session itself. Typically, sessions involve you reading your piece of writing aloud while a tutor helps you identify some areas in your writing for revision. Sessions can also be spent brainstorming, learning how to edit, or accomplishing other writing and revising tasks. We can address any writing-related concerns you may have during your session. At your request, a written description of the session(s) can be sent to your instructor, your advisor, or anyone else you designate.
To help your tutor help you, bring a description of the assignment and anything you have written for that assignment. You do not have to bring a full draft to the session. In fact, some of the most helpful sessions occur when the tutor helps you to brainstorm to get started on writing!
Papers cannot be edited by the Writing Commons. Peer writing assistants do not discuss grades or “do the writing” for the student.