Computer Engineering Technology, BS
The Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering Technology provides students with the opportunity to study computer systems and software-hardware interface so that they are capable of analyzing the problems in the computer and networking industry and producing computer engineering, networking and software solutions. The major's curriculum includes materials necessary for students to be eligible for industry certifications (e.g., Cisco, Dell, Juniper Networks) for career advancement. This program is ATMAE accredited.
Computer engineering technologists focus on hardware or software issues. When companies need custom applications and network systems designed, they call the computer engineering technologist. In this age of heavy computer usage, with companies using computers for a large variety of functions, the computer engineering technologist is invaluable in keeping equipment running, updating software, maintaining connectivity and interfacing with users.
Computer engineering technologists typically work for large companies, installing, testing, operating and maintaining the computer network ins. They may also find employment with companies that sell computers, at computer repair stores or at independent emergency repair facilities. Other common work locations include computer and peripheral manufacturing facilities, computer distribution facilities, computer research facilities and educational institutions.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon program completion, successful graduates will have:
- A general understanding, and a depth of knowledge in core computer engineering concepts, principles and applications
- An understanding of recent, current, and upcoming trends and related applications in computer engineering
- An acknowledgement of necessary design steps involved in making complex computer systems; and a practical understanding of the skills necessary to analyze existing systems
- A practical knowledge of tools and techniques to design innovative solutions from requirements specifications
- An understanding of the ethical issues involved with the use of computer engineering related technologies; and a clear desire to strive for the best practices