Yanhai Du, Ph.D.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org, Ph: 330-672-1910
Dr. Yanhai Du, Associate Professor at College of Aeronautics & Engineering, Team Leader and Principal Investigator (PI) of Kent State University's Fuel Cell Program, is a material scientist and an internationally recognized scholar in solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) research and development. He has more than 20 years of extensive R&D and manufacturing experiences in SOFC technology and ceramic product development, and 10 years of experience in academic settings. His research interests include fuel cells, energy conversion and storage, additive manufacturing and sustainable systems. Dr. has received over $1.5 million in grants for various clean energy research projects in the past six years. Dr. has authored/coauthored over 130 technical publications, including 11 patents, in key areas of SOFC design, materials, fabrication, characterization, and operation.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Material Science, 2004
- Master of Science, Material Technology, 1998
- Bachelor of Science, Ceramics, 1983
Awards and Honors
- 2019, Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Aeronautics & Engineering
- 2018, President’s Faculty Excellence Award, Kent State University
- 2016 July, The Future of Fuel Cells - Pioneering Professor Focuses on Fuel Cell Technology, E-Inside
- 2016 March, Fuel Cells and the Future, Record-Courier, March 27, 2016
- 2015 July, Dominion Award for Fuel Cell Educational Technologies Program - Dominion Higher Education Partnership
- 2014 April, Farris Family Innovation Awards, for Research of “Enabling a High Power Density and Small Size Fuel Cell”
- 2014 February, Technology Professor Promotes Fuel-Cell Research to Kent State Students - KentWired.com and The Fuel Cell Corridor
- 2014 January, Scholar of the Month, Scholar Fuels Students’ Knowledge of Technology - Kent State News
- 2013 Invent Event Winners, Honorable Mentions, University of South Carolina - Title of Invention - Liquid Fuel On-board Miniature Desulferizer. Inventors: Yanhai Du, Kenneth Reifsnider
Extent, Recency, and Pertinence of Academic Preparation
- 2013-present, Associate Professor, College of Aeronautics and Engineering, Kent State University - Kent Wired Article
- 2009-2013, Research Professor, Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Center, University of South Carolina - HeteroFoaM Center
- 2002-2005, Research Scientist, Center for Clean Energy Engineering, University of Connecticut
Extent, Recency, and Pertinence of Industrial Professional Level Experience
- 2005-2009, Director of Fuel Cell Development, NanoDynamics Inc.
- 2000-2002, Sr. Process Engineer, Acumentrics Corporation
- 1989-1995, Project Manager, State Bureau of Building Materials Industries
- 1983-1989, Engineer, Central Iron and Steel Research Institute
Faculty Teaching and Administrative Assignments
- New Courses Developed: Introduction to Sustainability (TECH 27210), Fuel Cells and Applications (TECH 42100), and Fuel Cell Technology and Engineering (TECH 61095)
- The courses Du offers include Introduction to Sustainability (TECH 27210), Individual Investigation (TECH 43096), Fuel Cells and Applications (TECH 42100), Fuel Cell Technology and Engineering (TECH 61095), Research (TECH 610980), Thesis I (TECH 61199), and Thesis II (TECH 61299)
Funded Research Activities
- Laser Sintering System for Research on Additive Manufacturing of Advanced Fuel Cells, Office of Naval Research
- A Super-High Power Density Fuel Cell Power Source, TeCK Fund and Ohio Development Services Agency
- Freeze Casting and Freeze Drying Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, NASA via Yanhai Power Technology and Protonex
- Universal Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Test Kit, Ohio Development Services Agency
- Enabling a High Power Density and Smaller Size Fuel Cell, Farris Family Innovation
- Fuel Cell Educational Technologies Program, Dominion Foundation
- Evaluation of Spiral Cell Fabrication Methodologies, WATT Fuel Cell Corporation
- Liquid Fueled Solid Oxide Fuel Cell System, Army Research Office via Protonex Technology Corporation
- Hydrogen Batteries for the War-fighter: From Army JP-8 to SOFC Power, DARPA-Defense Sciences Office
- Fuel-Flexible Advanced Power Solutions for Portable Applications, DARPA-Defense Sciences Office
- Hydrogen Batteries for the War-fighter: Development & Evaluation of Propane-Fueled SOFC Stack & Systems. U.S. Army
Editorial Board of the Sustainability journal, Energy Sustainability section
Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050) is a peer-reviewed and open access international journal with its main Editorial Office located in Basel, Switzerland. It covers studies related to sustainability and sustainable development in the areas of environmental, cultural, economic, and social sustainability of human beings and is published monthly online by MDPI which you may visit at http://www.mdpi.com/journal/sustainability/sectioneditors/energy_sustainability.
Board of Directors, Ohio Fuel Cell Coalition
- Energy Technologies
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy
- Journal of American Ceramic Society
- Journal of Electrochemical Society
- Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technologies
- Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids
- Journal of Power Sources
- Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews
- Reviews in Chemical Engineering
- Solid State Ionics and Journal of Nanomaterials
Publications, Patents, Thesis and Major Reports
Summary of Publications (as of Oct 10, 2018)
130+ Publications, including:
- 40 Refereed-Journal Articles
- Five Book Chapters
- Nine Patents (issued and pending)
Peer Reviewed and Internationally Circulated Journal Articles
- X. Yang, J. Chen, D. Panthi, B. Niu, L. Lei, Z. Yuan, Yanhai Du, Y. Li, F. Chen, T. He, “Electron Doping of Sr2FeMoO6–δ as High Performance Anode Materials for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells”, J. Materials Chemistry A, 7, 733 –743, 2019.
- N. Hedayat, D. Panthi, Yanhai Du*, “Inert Substrate-Supported Microtubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells Based on Highly Porous Ceramic by Low-Temperature Co-Sintering”, Ceramics International, 45, 579-587, 2019.
- D. Panthi, N. Hedayat, Yanhai Du*, “Densification Behavior of Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia Powders for Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Electrolytes”, Journal of Advanced Ceramics, 7(4): 325–335, 2018.
- X. Yang, J. Liu, F. Chen, Yanhai Du, A. Deibel, T. He, "Molybdenum-based double perovskites A2CrMoO6-d (A = Ca, Sr, Ba) as anode materials for solid oxide fuel cells”, Electrochimica Acta, 290, 440-450, 2018.
- Yanhai Du, N. Hedayat, D. Panthi, H. Ilkhani, B.J. Emley, T. Woodson, “Freeze Casting Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, A Review”, Materialia, 1, 198-210, 2018. (Invited Review Article)
- X. Yang, D. Panthi, N. Hedayat, T. He, F. Chen, W. Guan, and Yanhai Du, “Molybdenum Dioxide as an Alternative Catalyst for Direct Utilization of Methane in Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells”, Electrochemistry Communications, 86, 126-129, 2018.
- N. Hedayat, Yanhai Du, H. Ilkhani, “Pyrolyzable Pore-formers for the Porous-Electrode Formation in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells: A Review”, Ceramics International, 44, 5, 4561-4576, 2018.
- N. Hedayat, D. Panthi, Yanhai Du, “Fabrication of Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells by Solvent-Assisted Lamination and Co-firing a Rolled Multilayer Tape Cast”, International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, 15, 307-314, 2018
- N. Hedayat, D. Panthi, Yanhai Du, “Fabrication of Anode-Supported Microtubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells by Sequential Dip-Coating and Reduced Sintering Steps”, Electrochimica Acta, 258, 694-702, 2017.
- D. Panthi, B. Choi, Yanhai Du, A. Tsutsumi, “Lowering the Co-Sintering Temperature of Cathode–Electrolyte Bilayers for Micro-Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells”, Ceramics International, 43, 10698-10707, 2017.
- N. Hedayat, Yanhai Du, H. Ilkhani, “Review on Fabrication Techniques for Porous Electrodes of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells by Sacrificial Template Methods”, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 77, 1221-1239, 2017.
- K. Zhao and Yanhai Du, “Calcium-doped ceria materials for anode of solid oxide fuel cells running on methane fuel”, Journal of Power Sources, 347, 79–85, 2017.
- N. Hedayat, Yanhai Du, “Using Flixweed Seed as a Pore-former to Prepare Porous Ceramics”, Journal of Material Sciences & Engineering, 5, 4, 1000255, 2016.
- K. Zhao, B.-H. Kim, Yanhai Du, Q. Xu, B.-G. Ahn, “Ceria Catalyst for Inert-Substrate-Supported Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells Running on Methane Fuel”, Journal of Power Sources, 314, 10–17, 2016.
- K. Zhao, B.-H. Kim, Q. Xu, Yanhai Du, and B.-G. Ahna, “Redox Cycling Performance of Inert-Substrate-Supported Tubular Single Cells with Nickel Anode Current Collector”, Journal of Power Sources, 293, 336–342, 20
- K. Reifsnider, W. Chiu, K. Brinkman, Yanhai Du, A. Nakajo, F. Rabbi and Q. Liu, “Multiphysics Design and Development of Heterogeneous Functional Materials for Renewable Energy Devices: the HeteroFoaM Story”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 160 (4) F470-F481, 2013.
- Yanhai Du, D. Cui, K. Reifsnider and F. Chen, “Startup Characteristics of Propane-Fueled Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Hot Zones”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 159(6), B723-B728, 2012.
- Yanhai Du, D. Cui and K. Reifsnider, “Characterization of Propane-Fueled SOFC Portable Power Systems”, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, 15(5) B1-B5, 2012.
- M. Lankin, Yanhai Du, and C. Finnerty, “A Review of the Implications of Silica in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells”, Journal of Fuel Cell Science & Technologies, 8(5), 054001, 2011.
- D. Cui, Yanhai Du, K. Reifsnider, F. Chen, “One Thousand-hour Long Term Characteristics of a Propane-Fuelled Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Hot Zone”, Journal of Power Sources, 196, 6293–6298, 2011.
- P.K. Cheekatamarla, C.M. Finnerty, Yanhai Du, J. Jiang, J. Dong, P.G. DeWald, C.R. Robinson, “Advanced tubular solid oxide fuel cells with high efficiency for internal reforming of hydrocarbon fuels”, Journal of Power Sources, 188(2), 521-526, 2009.
- Yanhai Du, C. Finnerty and J. Jiang, “Thermal Stability of Portable Microtubular SOFCs and Stacks”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 155(9), B972-B977, 2008.
- N.M. Sammes, Yanhai Du, “Fabrication and Characterization of Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells”, International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, 4(2), 89-102, 2007.
- N.M. Sammes, R. Bove, Yanhai Du, “Assembling Single Cells to Create a Stack: The Case of a 100W Microtubular Anode-Supported Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Stack”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 15(4), 463-467, 2006.
- N.M. Sammes, Yanhai Du and R. Bove, "Design and Fabrication of a 100 W Anode Supported Micro-Tubular SOFC Stack", Journal of Power Sources, 145 (Aug) 428-434, 2005.
- X. Xue, J. Tang, Yanhai Du and N. Sammes, “Dynamic Modeling of Single Tubular SOFC Combining Heat/Mass Transfer and Electrochemical Reaction Effects”, Journal of Power Sources, 142(1-2), 211-222, 2005.
- G. Ju, K. Reifsnider, X. Huang, Yanhai Du, “Time Dependent Properties and Performance of a Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cell”, Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, 1(1), 35-42, 2004.
- Yanhai Du and N.M. Sammes, “Fabrication and properties of anode-supported tubular solid oxide fuel cells”, Journal of Power Sources, 136 (1) 66-71, 2004
- Yanhai Du, N.M. Sammes, G.A. Tompsett, D. Zhang, J. Swan and M. Bowden, “Extruded Tubular Strontium- and Magnesium-Doped Lanthanum Gallate, Gadolinium-Doped Ceria, and Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia Electrolytes: Mechanical and Thermal Properties” Journal of Electrochemical Society, 150 (1) A74-78, 2003.
- Yanhai Du, N.M. Sammes, “Fabrication and Performance of LaGaO3-Based Tubular SOFC’s”, International Journal of Ionics, 9(1&2), 7-14, 2003. (Journal Impact Factor = 2.229, Corresponding Author).
- Yanhai Du, N.M. Sammes, “Electrical Performance of LaGaO3-Based Tubular SOFCs”, Journal of University of Science and Technology of China, 32, 38-48, 2002.
- Yanhai Du, N.M. Sammes, “Fabrication of Tubular Electrolytes for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells using Strontium- and Magnesium-doped LaGaO3 Materials”, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 21 (6), 727-735, 2001.
- Yanhai Du, N.M. Sammes, and G.A. Tompsett, “Optimisation Parameters for the Extrusion of Thin YSZ Tubes for SOFC Electrolyte”, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 20 (7), 959-965, 2000.
- Yanhai Du, N.M. Sammes, G.A. Tompsett, and Y. Zhang, “Phase Stability of Bismuth Lead Antimony Oxide”, Solid State Ionics, 117, 291-299, 1999.
- Y. Zhang, N. Sammes, and Yanhai Du, “The Use of X-ray Analysis in Determining the Crystal Structure in F-Bi8Pb5O17”, Solid State Ionics, 124, 179-184, 1999.
- Yanhai Du, N.M. Sammes, and G.A. Tompsett, “Phase Transition Temperatures of Bi8Pb5O17”, Journal of Australasian Ceramic Society, 34 (1) 124-129, 1998.
- Du Yanhai, “The Development Problems Existing in Our Architectural Ceramic Industry and its Main Tasks Ahead,” China Ceramic Industry, 1(1), 7-9, 1994.
- Du Yanhai; Feng Jiarong, “On the Change of Spinel in Magnesia-Chromite Brick Used in VOD Refining Furnaces,” China’s Refractories, 2(4), 29-31, 1993.
- Du Yanhai, “Analysis on Technique Importation and its Digestion and Absorption Problems about Sanitary and Ceramic Kiln,” Ceramic, 102(2), 14-19, 1993.
- Dr. Du is featured as a Google Scholar and at Research Gate. Here are just a few of them from recent years.”
Conference Proceedings, Presentations, and Posters
- Yanhai Du, N. Hedayat and D. Panthi, “Can Fuel Cells Make our World Cleaner?”, International Congress on Sustainability Science & Engineering, Cincinnati, OH, USA, August 12-15, 2018.
- Yanhai Du, N. Hedayat and D. Panthi, “Freeze-Casting & Freeze-Drying Processes for SOFC Applications – A Review”, 5th Asian Solid Oxide Fuel Cells Conference, Shanghai, China (Keynote), August 5-9, 2018.
- A review on freeze-casting and freeze-drying Solid oxide fuel cells
- Yanhai Du, J. Persky, K. Zhao, H. Ilkhani, T. Woodson, B. Emley, N. Hedayat, “Fabrication and Characterization of Freeze-Cast Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells”, Fifteenth International Symposium on Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Hollywood, Florida, July 14, 2017.
- X. Yang, X. Han, T. He, Yanhai Du, “Enhanced Stability of Ta5+ and Fe3+ Co-doped BaCoO3-δ as a Cathode Material for IT-SOFCs”, Fifteenth International Symposium on Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Hollywood, Florida, July 14, 2017.
- N. Hedayat, D. Panthi, Yanhai Du, "A Novel Method to Fabricate Inert Substrate-Supported Microtubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells by Selective Leaching", Fifteenth International Symposium on Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Hollywood, Florida, July 14, 2017.
- B. Emley, T. Woodson, A. Bose, Yanhai Du, "Freeze Cast T-SOFCs and a Universal Electrochemical Testing Fixture", Fifteenth International Symposium on Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Hollywood, Florida, July 14, 201
- D. Panthi, N. Hedayat, and Yanhai Du, “A Comparative Study on the Densification Behavior of Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia Electrolyte Powders”, Fifteenth International Symposium on Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Hollywood, Florida, July 14, 2017.
- Yanhai Du, “Can Fuel Cells Make Airports Greener?” 25th Annual National Aviation Environmental Management Conference, Detroit, Michigan, June 5‐7, 2016.
- Yanhai Du, A. Maar, and K. Zhao, “Development of Advanced Ceramic Fuel Cells using Additive Manufacturing Technology (I): Design and Modeling”, International Conference and Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, Daytona Beach, FL, USA, January 24-19, 2016
Invited Talks, Seminars and Guest Lectures
- Yanhai Du, “Sharpen Your Edge, Follow Your Passion - the Fuel Cell Story”, Seminar at Case Western Reserve University – Student Chapter of Electrochemical Society, Cleveland, OH, November 29, 2017.
- Yanhai Du, “What If … Fuel Cells and Sustainability”, Qingdao University, 18 May 2017; and University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, 23 May 2017.
- Yanhai Du, (Panelist) “Application of Additive Manufacturing to Advance Ceramic Fuel Cells”, Ceramic Expo & Conference, Cleveland, OH, USA, April 26-28, 2016.
- Yanhai Du, “Fuel Cells’ Roles in the Sustainable Energy Era”, Harbin Institute of Technology, December 23, 201 And at China University of Geosciences (Beijing), December 20, 2014.
- Yanhai Du, “Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cell -A Fuel-Flexible and Efficient Fuel Cell Technology for Portable Applications”, Case Western Research University, September 9, 2014.
- Yanhai Du, “Fuel-Flexible and Efficient Fuel Cell Technologies”, The Akron Section of The American Chemical Society, March 12, 2014. And at NASA Glenn Research Center, December 17, 2013.
- Yanhai Du, “Overview of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells”, Tuscarawas Campus, Kent State University, November 21, 2013.
- Yanhai Du, “Portable SOFC Systems and New Cell Microstructure”, Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Science, November 9, 2011.
- Yanhai Du, “Solid Oxide Fuel Cell - a Fuel Flexible and High Efficient Energy Technology”, Tsinghua University, November 4, 2011.
- Yanhai Du, “From Coal to Electricity without Combustion - Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Technology”, China University of Geosciences, November 2, 2011.
- Yanhai Du, “Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Technologies”, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Science, October 24, 20
- Yanhai Du, A.M.M. Maar, “Multifunctional Manifold for Electrochemical Device and Methods for Making the Same”, US and International Patent Application, PCT/US2017/065758, 12 December 2017.
- Yanhai Du, “Universal Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Testing Device”, US and International Patent Application, PCT/US2017/043668, 25 July, 2017
- C. Finnerty, Yanhai Du, J. Cai, “Electrochemical System Having Multiple Independent Circuits” US and International Patent, US 9,281,531 B2, 8 March 2016.
- Yanhai Du, K. Reifsnider, “Systems and Methods for Liquid Fuel Desulfurization”, US and International Patent, US 9,238,781, 19 January 2016.
- Yanhai Du, J. Persky, “Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cells” US Patent Application, 15/094,398, 2016.
- Yanhai Du, C. Finnerty, “Tubular Electrochemical Cell”, US and International Patent, US 8,182,959, 22May 2012.
- X. Huang, K.L. Reifsnider, R.O. England, Yanhai Du “Joints and Methods of Making and Using” US Patent Application, 2006/0172141, 2006.
- Yanhai Du, N.M. Sammes, R. England, “Solid State Electrochemical Devices” US Patent Application, 2004/0258972, 2004.
- Yanhai Du, N.M. Sammes, “Methods of Manufacture of Electrolyte Tubes for Solid Oxide Devices and the Devices Obtained Therefrom” US Patent Application: 2004/0247973, 2004.
- C. Finnerty, G. Tompsett, F. Basil, Yanhai Du, “Segmented Electrode Tubular Solid Oxide Fuel Cell and Method of Manufacture,” US and International Patent Application, WO/2002/031901.
Book Chapters, Edited Conference Proceedings Volumes, Thesis and Reports
- Yanhai Du, A. Maar, K. Zhao, “Development of Advanced Ceramic Fuel Cells using Additive Manufacturing Technology (I): Design and Modeling”, in Advanced Processing and Manufacturing Technologies for Nanostructured and Multifunctional Materials III: Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, Editors: M. Fukushima and A. Gyekenyesi, V.37 (5), pp.74-80, (ISBN-13: 9781119321705), 2017.
- K. Reifsnider, Yanhai Du, D. Cui, “From Army JP-8 to SOFC Power”, Final Program Report to Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), January 27, 2012.
- K.L. Reifsnider, F Rabbi, R Raihan, Q Liu, P Majumdar, Yanhai Du, J.M. Adkins, “Heterofoam: New Concepts and Tools for Heterogeneous Functional Material Design”, in Advances in Materials Science for Environmental and Energy Technologies: Ceramic Transactions, Editors: T. Ohji, M. Singh, E. Hoffman, M. Seabaugh, and Z.G. Yang, V.236, pp. 155-164, (ISBN-13: 9781118273425), Wiley, 2012.
- K. Reifsnider, Yanhai Du, D. Cui, “Development & Evaluation of Propane-Fueled SOFC Stacks & Systems”, Final Program Report to Communications-Electronics Research, Development and Engineering Center (CERDEC), December 16, 2010.
- N.M. Sammes and Yanhai Du, “Fabrication and Properties of an Anode-Supported Tubular IT-SOFC Based on Lanthanum Gallate” in Advances in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells: Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, V.26 (4), (ISBN: 9781574982343), Editor: N.P. Bansal, John Wiley & Sons, pp.33-40, 2008.
- N.M. Sammes, Yanhai Du, R. Bove, “Fuel Cell Principles and Perspectives” in Biofuels for Fuel Cells: Renewable Energy from Biomass Fermentation, 235-247, (ISBN: 1843390922), Editors: P. Lens, P. Westermann, M. Haberbauer and A. Moreno, IWA publishing, 2005.