Kathryn Strand's research-based practice with husband Jason Turnidge is focused on the choreography of architectural environments through fabrication of material and virtual situation. Interests include the examination of traditional to contemporary methods of architectural representation as generative tools that mediate between individual idea and constructed environment. The work has been recognized with numerous local to international awards and related research has been presented and published both nationally and internationally.
Additional professional experience includes work as a design associate at Thom Stauffer Architect[s] in Kent, OH where she was a design team member on numerous award-winning projects, including the Ceruti Residence, which received a House of the Year Award in 2006 from Architecture Magazine.
Strand received a Bachelor of Science degree in Fine Arts and Art History from the University of Wisconsin Madison. In 2002, she received a Master of Architecture degree from University of Pennsylvania where she spent a semester studying at the Architecture Association in London and was a participant in the International Laboratory of Architecture and Environmental Design held in Venice, Italy.
Strand is an Associate Professor in the College of Architecture and Environmental Design at Kent State University where she coordinates the First Year Foundation Sequence and conducts undergraduate design studios, architectural history, and a theory seminar on media and representation.
- 2013 | W Portal, The Westin Cleveland Downtown Hotel one of four teams invited to submit installation proposal for Sage Hospitality and LAND Studio Cleveland, with Jason Turnidge
- 2013 | 30 for the Future Award Recipient honored by the Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce for professional and community impact through leadership, mentoring, and volunteering
- Fall 2012 | See Also 2013 installation proposal/temporary public art for Cleveland Public Library and LAND Studio Cleveland, Honorable Mention, with Jason Turnidge
- 2011 | Tree City Coffee and Pastry Kent, OH, Interior Design and installations, lighting, furniture, and finishes, with Jason Turnidge, SNTR
- 2008 | AIA Ohio Award Quincy Avenue Infill Urban Housing Proposal, with Thom Stauffer and Jason Turnidge
- September 2008 | Publication_-Thinking Bland- in Building Designing Thinking, eds. Kari Jormakka and Esa Laaksonen (Helsinki: Alvar Aalto Foundation, 2008)
- 2007 | Art-City & Peepshow International Rupture -Live- Architecture Competition Honorable Mention, with Jason Turnidge
- November 2006 | Citation_Ceruti House, Architecture Magazine House of the Year Awards, With Thom Stauffer Architect[s]