The Harmony Alliance is an active gay-straight alliance that meets biweekly on campus. Membership in the club is open to any student who is interested in the Alliance's goals, which include acceptance of difference, diversity, and promoting harmony among all peoples.
Our goals include:
- Creating better understanding between diverse groups
- Promoting acceptance of diversity in all of its forms
- Providing information about the damage done by prejudice and homophobia to people who are the objects of prejudice because of race, class, gender, sexuality, age, or ability
- Providing a safe space for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer and questioning students
- Providing support for friendships and understanding between LGBTIQ and straight students
- Providing educational materials and sensitivity training about LGBTIQ issues
- Promoting "safe zones" for students with sensitive faculty and staff
- Providing social activities open to all students
- Accomplishing fundraising for projects to benefit the campus and students
- Promoting pride in diversity
- Making connections with similar groups on other campus and other universities.
One of the most active service and social organizations on campus, the Harmony Alliance has engaged in several fundraisers and assisted with campus events in the past, including sponsoring films and talks for one month of the film series sponsored by the Diversity Committee, and will continue to serve the campus in any way it can. Future plans include films, trips to special events, and campus social activity sponsorship. Although only students can become members of the organization, in line with the mission of the Regional Campuses, the Harmony Alliance welcomes visitors from the community as well as members from the campus.