Frequently Asked QuestionsCeremony details are updated frequently. For the most up-to-date information, be sure to check back before coming to campus.
- Accessibility seating and other reasonable accommodations will be available to guests in the MAC Center.
- Guests in need of accommodations should arrive no less than 90 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony and see an usher to be seated. Seating in these reserved areas can not be guaranteed once the ceremony begins.
- A drop off pass for guests in need of ADA accommodations can be printed and displayed in the dash of your vehicle. This permit will allow guests to be dropped off at the Lobby A entrance of the MAC Center in the R10 Parking Lot.
- Handicap parking is available. For more details, view the ADA drop off map and Handicap parking areas.
Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center is located at 1025 Risman Dr., Kent, Ohio 44242
Guests who are unable to attend may view the commencement ceremonies live via webcast. Additionally, the Student Center Kiva will be open to guests without a ticket for live viewing on campus. Please note, that this area is seated first come first served.
The ceremonies will be approximately 90 minutes in length.
The doors will open 90 minutes prior to the ceremony start. Doors will close at the start of the ceremony and will remain closed until the completion of the National Anthem.
Emergencies and Evacuation Procedures
In the event of a medical emergency or evacuation, please see a member of the event staff, usher or law enforcement official.
Inclement Weather (Spring Term)
We hope you are as excited as we are to honor our graduates' accomplishments at the One University Commencement on Saturday, May 12.
You may be thinking about the weather for this outdoor ceremony, so we would like to share important information should we experience inclement weather. The safety of our university community is always our foremost priority, and we have planned carefully to ensure the successful completion of this important event.
Light Rain or Other Non-Severe Weather
In the case of light rain or other non-severe weather, the ceremony will continue in Dix Stadium, but may be shortened.
Should a delay occur at Dix Stadium:
- Instructions will be given to guests via public address announcements and video screen messages.
- Graduates and guests are asked to listen for announcements and remain seated until instructed otherwise.
- These security measures are in place to provide a safe environment for everyone, and your cooperation is appreciated.
In the rare instance where severe weather prohibits the continuation of the ceremony outdoors, we will proceed with the ceremony for graduating students only in the Kent State Field House.
This decision would be communicated by 8:30 a.m. on the day of the event via the following communication methods:
- University email
- Kent State Website
- Commencement App
Gifts for Graduates
Parking & Shuttles
All parking lots are open on Commencement Day. Traffic on campus will be heavy. Carpooling is highly encouraged. Shuttles will run to and from the MAC Center from the Schwartz Center Parking Lot.
For your safety and the safety of others, guests and their possessions are subject to inspection as a condition of admittance. The university reserves the final decision on all items brought into the venue. Hall Security will carry out security checks at the entrance of the ceremony venue. Our priority is to do this as quickly as possible. Please allow plenty of time to get in the venue for the ceremony.
The use of a laser-pointing device of any kind or anything that can produce a focused beam of light found on any person in the venue will result in criminal charges and ejection from the ceremony. Similarly, it is the sole responsibility of security personnel to ensure that should any of these items be found inside the performance area they be promptly confiscated.
Guest seating for Commencement is general admission.
Smoking is prohibited. Smoking is also defined to include any and all electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes.
All guests (including children 1 year and older) must have a ticket to enter the ceremony venue. Tickets will not be printed on site.