EHS | 1537320497 | Kent State University


How do I go about switching my major/concentration to the Public Health/EHS?

If you are already a College of Public Health undergraduate student, you can let your Academic Advisor know of your interest.  Advisors can be reached by calling 330-672-6500 or email them.
If you are a Kent State University student in another major outside the College of Public Health, you can call, 330-672-6500 or email or schedule an appointment with a Public Health Academic Advisor to discuss your options.

What kinds of jobs could I get upon earning my B.S. in Public Health?

Many of the job postings and internship opportunities sent to the College of Public Health are for graduates of environmental health programs.  They come from health departments, governmental regulatory agencies, university laboratories, and private industry.  Here is a sample of job titles posted in the past few months: Chemical Safety Officer/Laboratory Safety Advisor ($66,000/yr.), Sanitarian in Training ($19/hr.), Health and Safety Risk Engineer ($41,000) , Industrial Hygienist ($58,000/yr.)

Why wouldn’t I just major in biological, chemical or geological sciences?

Pursuing medical or scientific research careers require post-bachelor’s level education.  Earning a bachelor’s degree with career specific skills in Environmental Health Sciences prepares students with entry-level career options, as well as further education in graduate or professional medical programs.  Graduate and professional medical schools are extremely competitive and not all who apply will be admitted. Earning a B.S.P.H. keeps the door open for other career pathways.  For instance a student with a B.S.P.H.